Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Foot Switch help

Hornnumb2

Sep 21, 2011
I purchased a foot switch off of ebay I want to wire up to 2 glass grinders, should I be able to just run the 110v neutral wire through the switch or should I come up with some type of relay? Thanks Michael

Attachments

• foot1.JPG
    foot1.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 56
  • foot2.JPG
    foot2.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 101
  • foot3.JPG
    foot3.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 98

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You shouldn't switch neutral.

Whether or not this switch is suitable for switching the maid to your devices depends on its voltage and current ratings and those of the device being switched.

If the foot switch is suitably rated, then use it as intended. If not, a relay may be an option, but you need to provide low voltage to switch the relay and more mains wiring and an enclosure.

I'm sorry, but on my phone the images are not particularly clear. Maybe someone else can verify the information from them.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
You shouldn't switch neutral.

Whether or not this switch is suitable for switching the maid to your devices depends on its voltage and current ratings and those of the device being switched.

If the foot switch is suitably rated, then use it as intended. If not, a relay may be an option, but you need to provide low voltage to switch the relay and more mains wiring and an enclosure.

I'm sorry, but on my phone the images are not particularly clear. Maybe someone else can verify the information from them.
Looks like 15amp , 125-250VAC...
That said... I'm unsure how it's actually constructed internally, and what the pinout of that connector would be.

I see 6 pins, and two pedals.

As mentioned previously, you do not wan't to switch neutral. You always switch the hot side.
That being said... without knowing the pinout, if you connect the Hot wire to the wrong pin, you could potentially make the foot pedal assembly live.

I would not use that enclosure, nor would I recommend it, unless you can determine with certainty what the pinout is, and that there is at *least* a contact for Neutral in addition to ground. Would be much better if there was also a ground contact...

Hornnumb2

Sep 21, 2011
Here is a pic of inside, The pin out is 5 pins which would be in and out on each pedal and earth ground. So I should be fine switch the hot lead and have the earth ground hooked up.
Nx1VDy

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Earth ground is a good thing to see!
So... Next step is to grab a multi-meter.
Poke and prod each pin with respect to each other and see if you can determine which pins switch when you press the peddle.
Make a chart, and compare pin 1 against the remaining pins with and without the peddles being pressed. You should be able to identify what you need to hook up.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir Hornnumb2 . . . . .

Dual footswitch.jpg

It probably will be as is shown here with the high probability of the center pin being equipment ground and then you differentiate beteeen the color codes of the right and left switches.
One switch set will be Yellow Orange while the other will be Red Brown.
The shell of that connector will probably also be grounded.
With that odd connector you will probably be paying a PWEMIUM price for EVEN FINDING a female mate.
If the grinder units are setting side by side you might series daisy chain or Y branch out the wiring and feed wiring inside each motor housing to then be insulated wire nutted into motor circuit wiring.

73s de Edd

Last edited: