Connect with us

Food Processor

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Hamid mah, Mar 4, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Hamid mah

Hamid mah

Mar 3, 2015
    Hello Every Body,

My Food Processor stop working, after opening and checking the board by multimeter that there is a white Wirewound resistor that the multimeter does not show any Ohm for that ( just zero).
    It is a white block and I can see this printed on it: E206 - 837 (top line)
    R15 VTM 10%
    My question is: 1)when the multimeter does not show any Ohm, it means that this resistor is burned? ( I think so)
    2) I could not figure out what part is this resistor exactly, by the code I provided above could you please help me to find a replacement component? ( what is the Watt/ Ohm and other info).

Thanks for Any info

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
  2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Welcome to electronicspoint.
    Judging from the number of recent posts from Canada, it seems Canada has just woken up :D

If you mean "no resistance" by "not any Ohm", you're right.

Difficult from the numbers alone. Could you upload a good image of the resistor, please?

My initial guess is a 0.15Ω 10% 4W resistor made by Vitrohm, but this needs to be verified.

Hamid mah likes this.
  3. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    If you have a digital meter, make sure it is set to Ohms first. Please also note that '0' may indicate your meter is set too high (like 200k or 20k... try setting the meter to a lower value)
    If the meter is set at it's lowest value and still shows '0' then you have a 'short circuit'. This will appear the same on the mater as if you simply touch the probes together.
    Additionally, if you have an 'open circuit', the meter will show the same thing as if the probes are not connected to anything.
    Please verify which one you are getting.

Also, if it is possible to do so, measure the component in question after it is removed from the circuit... or you could be measuring something else in the circuit accidentally.

Hamid mah likes this.
  4. Hamid mah

Hamid mah

Mar 3, 2015
    Thanks Harald for your reply, I attach a picture of the part, please let me know what do you think about the specification :) thanks

Attached Files:

5. Hamid mah

Hamid mah

Mar 3, 2015
    Thanks for reply... yes I have tried different setups and different capacity ( or resistances on Ohm on multimeter but no response )

6. Hamid mah

Hamid mah

Mar 3, 2015
    Just as additional information, this food processor was stop working after 3 minutes of continues working, then I unplug it for 10 minute and start to work again, this happened 3 time then Finally did not work at all, I think this resistor is kind of Fuse for the motor and board as well.

7. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    This is what is confusing me at the moment... no response is quite a bit different than measuring 0Ω.
    The meter will either act like the probes are touched together, or not touching anything. Please clarify which one this is.

If you can, please take a picture of the reading on the meter so we can confirm the setting it was on, and the value.

8. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    That's definitely the manufacturer Vitrohm. They seem to have changed their numbering system. When searching for an old article number 206-8, this page turns up. The equivalent resistor today would be KH206-8, 0.15Ω, 10%, 4W or a similar resistor from another manufacturer.

Since this resistor is a power resistor, take especial care when replacing it and check carefully for any signs of overheating before and when putting the processor into operation. Such a failure is typically not the prime reason for failure. ZTypically something else has gone defect before and the overload caused by this first defect has caused the resistor to open.

Always observe all necessary precautions to ensure your (and others) personal safety.

9. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Good find Harald.
    I am still desperately hoping the OP can clarify what he is reading... a short or open circuit...
    No reply has been made to testing the component after being removed either...

10. Hamid mah

Hamid mah

Mar 3, 2015
    Yes, the reading just sticking to Zero even with different Ohm setup on multimeter. that sounds like the part is acting as a open circuit.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  11. Hamid mah

Hamid mah

Mar 3, 2015
    Appreciate it.... I will let you know what I will replace.

12. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    No. Zero = short circuit.
    Your meter probably isn't up to measuring 0.15Ω. The Ohms ranges of your multimeter are most probably not fit for this task.
    You better use a Kelvin connection to measure this low a resistance. You will need a separate current source, an ammeter and a voltmeter.

Chances are this resistor is perfectly o.k. and the fault lies elsewhere in your unit.

13. Hamid mah

Hamid mah

Mar 3, 2015
    I will try that too... I am really appreciate your wonderful inputs :) I am happy to find this forum and informative people like you :)

14. Hamid mah

Hamid mah

Mar 3, 2015
    I did some more experiments:
    1)when I connect my multimeter probes to eachother, I can see 3.2 or numbers changing around it. but for that resistor, there is no reaction on multimeter screen.

2) I have attached a manual drawn draft just to express what I have done, when I connect the plug to power and measure the Voltage between points 1 and 2 I can read 120.V , then I measure voltage between points 1 and 3 , only read 00.1 V . ( all these done when plug is connected to power).

What do you think? do still see any chance that the wire wounded resistor is OK? when I do not see any voltage reading between points 1 & 3, I believe the resistor is burned.
    Thanks for any input.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  15. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    That's a contradiction to your previous statement in post #10:
    An Ohmmeter (or multimeter in Ohm range) will show nothing (or a set of dashes or similar) to indicate a resistance that is too high for the measuring range. It will show 0 (or a value near 0) to indicate a very low resistance or short circuit.
    What exactly do you see when measuring the resistor?

In which position is the switch? I'd expect it to be closed, otherwise your measurement doesn't make too much sense to me. What happens, if you open the switch?
    You can also verify your measurement by measuring between 2 and 3. I'd expect to see 120V with the switch closed.
    Measure also in addition of the resistance of the resistor the resistance between 2 and 3 with the switch open and no mains attached! Inspect the PCB traces leading to and from the resistor. An open circuit doesn't have to be the fault of the resistor, it can also be due to a burned trace. Also inspect closely and ensure that you haven't overseen a fuse that might be in this circuit.

16. ADRT

ADRT

Nov 25, 2014
    You should see roughly 110vac from points 1 to 3 even with the switch open. A resistance of .15 ohms would give a negligible voltage drop here. Jump the resistor with a piece of wire and see what happens. If the resistor Is the problem then jumping it should allow the circuit to work.

We had boards at my work that would fail. We found that a 2 ohm resistor was the culprit. When we asked the manufacturer what the resistor was for they said it was being used more like a fuse. Their recommendation was to just remove the resistor and put a jumper wire in its place. While this worked for our boards and would be a good quick test for you, I would not leave it this way in your circuit. Just use it as a test and if it works order a new resistor.

17. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Hence my confusion earlier, I was unable to get the OP to take a picture, or clarify if it acted like the probes were touching, or left disconnected.
    Since there was no answer to posts 3, 7, and 9, I dropped off.

Again OP. Please show a picture of the multimeter and it's reading so we can clarify.
    There is a communication barrier here that we are having trouble with. It could be based on language, or a lack of understanding of how a meter works.

18. Hamid mah

Hamid mah

Mar 3, 2015
    Sorry for delay in my responses, because of the my job I can not constantly work on that and report it , my apology again.
    Gryd3 sorryif I delay repsonding, as mentioned above, I could not work on that on a daily fasion. so On and Off, when I had chance.
    I am hoping to get back to that tonight again... just wondering, if the resistance is too low (0.15 Ohm) , and as I undestood this resistor is there to play a Fuse, can I by pass that resistor by similar OHM ceramic resistor ( regular ones) or even a wire? just to see, if the motor works.. then for sure that is the resistor which is gone bad.

19. Hamid mah

Hamid mah

Mar 3, 2015
    Thank you ADRT, what you said is exactly what I am thinking now, with that very low OHM I should be still be able to see some voltage between 1 & 3, but there is No Voltage... just to bypass the resistor with a wire, since the OHM is too low, the resistor looks like is acting as a Fuse only.

I appreciate your input, and will let you know....... Thank you all again.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  20. Hamid mah

Hamid mah

Mar 3, 2015
    It is not a contradiction indeed, on Post#10 I am talking abot measuing 2 ends of the Resistor, But on Post#14 , Just I connected 2 Tips of Multimeter Probes to eachother to see how it is reading, and that 3.2 is the outcome of Probe heads connection.

Ask a Question