Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Foil wire wrapping

Himo5

May 9, 2014
I have a modular Power Supply Unit in my computer with a 24 pin ATX cable that contains a twisted wire pair, 5VStandby/Ground.

Assuming this is an anti-EMI arrangement, would it be possible, when replacing the cable with a single sleeved copy, to emulate the same effect by wrapping the 5VStandby wire with adhesive alluminium foil?

If this was possible would it matter if the foil tape has an adhesive paper carrier, and if THAT would not matter would it matter if all the wires in the cable had a foil wrapping?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If it is for EMI it is probably not doing an awful lot, however having said that, I'd just replace it with another twisted pair of wires. I wouldn't use anything that could have exposed metal.

Himo5

May 9, 2014
Thanks a lot for the response.

The sleeving being used is high density weave plastic braiding and the adhesive side of the foil tape is not conductive and is cut 5mm short of the terminals under the braiding.

The objective is to take advantage of partially transparent braiding and the ease of sleeving properties that the foil can give to 3mm sleeving over 18awg wire. Obviously, there would be no question of allowing current to be conducted outside the wire insulation and its connectors.

What I was hoping to get some advice on was a)fire hazard from the paper carrier, and, b)magnetic field disruption in a bundle of reflecting wires.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I can't imagine it would make any measurable difference. If you have a metal shield you would normally ground it.