Connect with us

Fog lights installation question

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by CanF3s, Feb 8, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. CanF3s

CanF3s

Feb 8, 2017
    Hello to everyone on this forum and I thank you in advance....

I am stuck in a DIY fog lights project on the cheap on a 2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S. The bike comes pre-wired for fog lights already and the only thing that's needed is a latching switch, JAE MX1900 female connector and a 3pin male waterproof connector on the fog light side. The fog lights I bought come with an angel eyes which are already up and running. The problem I'm having is with the fog light wire itself.

On the input side there are 4 wires associated with this MX1900 plug (see below) grey/stripe green, red and 2 black wires. While the power is off, the grey/stripe wire is closed and the rest are all grounded. When the engine is on, the grey/stripe green wire outputs 14vdc as well as the red and the other non-ground black wire. On the output side (3pin connector, see below) the grey/stripe green wire is 100% the wire designated to the fog lights the other 2 left are a common ground and a brown/orange stripe which outputs 14vdc once the engine is on and that is where the angel eyes are connected.

So here is where I'm stuck. The 5pin latching LED switch will be connected in the most common way; switch on LED lit fog lights on. The problem here is that the designated fog light wire has already voltage on engine start. Since the LED switch will remain off until the button is pressed, the additional black wire with current in it is not needed. So I'm left with the grey/stripe green wire, ground wire and red (hot) wire. Within its possible limitation of combinations with these 3 wires all I have been able to do is make the switch LED light up but no luck getting the fog lights to come on.

Attached Files:

2. tedstruk

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
    consider that maybe this machine is not designed for the foglights...

it may be what they all a grey import, that is a machine designed for a different country that somehow ended up in the US.

Then, with that in mind, assume the implications of adding lights to a system that is not designed for them. More drain, expescially with duh LED's and consider asking somebody at the bike shop.

I have seen many a manufacturer, terminate wires at the lighting plugs, which has always Peed me Off and after jumpering this and splicing that, my circuit always worked fine for me. This is your machine, and most bikes are customized; at least a little. The key with bikes is...:make it 100% yours...

Ask a Question