Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Focal XS 2.1 sub woofer, sealant

liquidsteel

Sep 17, 2018
Hi Guys,

I was trying to replace my C18 Socket from the Back of my Focal XS 2.1. sub woofer Does anybody know what is the sealant used?
is it silicone?
They got some of that stuff on the PCB as well.

Thanks

WhatsApp Image 2018-09-17 at 09.37.47.jpeg

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Looks like just cheap general purpose construction grade adhesive. It is unimportant that you replicate that, could buy construction adhesive from a hardware store, or you could get latex/acrylic or silicone caulking, but generally speaking the typical construction grade silicone is acidic and you don't want acid cure caulking for electronics because the acid in it degrades metal/electrical.

There are some automotive (among other industries) sealants spec'd as "sensor safe" or "electronics" or "non-corrosive" that aren't acid cure, but frankly in this application just about anything would work, for example thick wood glue, or epoxy, or hot glue.

Does this connector also have screws or friction tabs or something, or is this adhesive the only thing holding it in? If it is the only thing holding it then I would get a replacement socket that does have screw-down mounting ears instead of screwless, and depending on how well it attaches, maybe not put any goop on it at all unless there are big gaps.

liquidsteel

Sep 17, 2018
@dave9.

Thank you. I'm thinking of getting electrical grade silicone sealant to replace that gunk.

The connector does have a screw as well. that's why im curious why did they glued it on the Inside. i think JM Lab is trying to prevent users to do their own repairs on their products.

Thanks again !!!

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Hi LS. Hot melt glue or contact adhesive work best from personal experience.
Hard 'Solid' adhesives such as Pratley Steel Epoxy tend to vibrate loose, depending on output power ie vibration.
A foolproof trick I did on mine (Genuis) was to drill small side holes then screw head edges clamped down edges of socket (all of which was hot glued). C.

liquidsteel

Sep 17, 2018
Thanks for the Feedback. There's some of that on the PCB Board which i plant to remove as well as i need to replace the 8-pin Din Female socket on it as it is loose as well.

I couldn't get the Dow Corning 738 in Indonesia. So i'm wondering if i Use other Alkoxy cure from dow corning such as 739 or 748 will it be ok on the PCB?

XLwTR.jpg

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Yes an alkoxy cure sealant would work, though it seems as though you might be going a bit overkill for what this needs to do. A 10oz tube of construction adhesive from the hardware stores in the US is about $2

The other option is visit a well stocked auto parts store. They should have "sensor safe" RTV silicone sealant because it's *necessary* for some auto repairs.