Connect with us

FM Transmitter circuit help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by asder, Apr 17, 2011.

1. asder

asder

Apr 17, 2011
    Hello! First of all, I'm new here, nice to meet you all. I have been trying to follow and build this circuit: http://www.cie-wc.edu/fmtransmitter.asp
    Then I noticed that if I wanted to use a 3.5" jack instead of a microphone, I would need to change something else in the circuit. What would be changed in order to use an audio jack instead of a electret microphone to transmit?

Also, I couldn't find a 5-30pf variable capacitor, but I have these two:

One like this: http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/photos/rapid/capvar.jpg taken from an old radio. It has 7 pins, four small knobs on one side, and a bigger one on the other side. It does not have any model number.
    And another one, a small two-pin trimmer that goes up to 70 pf.
    Could one of those be used for the circuit, or should I try to get the correct one?

One more thing, I hope it doesn't bother you: Where in the circuit could I add a white LED so I know the battery isn't dead? I think it's 3V, but maybe it's more, since it doesn't look very bright on a cell battery.

Thanks in advance.

2. serious coinage

serious coinage

Mar 26, 2011
    If you're happy using a trimmer, here's a 6.2-30pF variable capacitor, which should be good enough.

3. asder

asder

Apr 17, 2011
    Anybody else?:confused:

4. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    You disconnect the collector of Q1 from C2, and connect the jack to C2.
    Connect a 47pF capacitor in series with the 70pF trimmer you have - and use that.
    The tuner capacitor you have contains multiple sections - and it's virtually impossible to remote-identify if there's a suitable section and where it's connected.
    Adding a LED will only drain the battery faster, but if you want to you connect it from + to - in series with a 3.3V zener and a 1000 ohm resistor.

Attached Files:

5. asder

asder

Apr 17, 2011
    Can I then leave out the microphone and connect C1/R1 directly to the negative? Would you explain the jack's connecting further, please? I don't get it.

Sorry for all these questions, I don't really know a lot about electronics.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  6. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    If you never need the mike then you can leave out half the circuit. Hope this pic helps explain it.

Attached Files:

Ask a Question