Connect with us

FM Antenna Connection

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by nato41, Apr 25, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. nato41

nato41

Apr 25, 2017
    I have a cheap AM/FM desktop radio (Panasonic RF-2400) which has a single telescoping antenna. It gets very poor reception so I bought an indoor antenna amplifier, which has a push on coaxial connector. How can I connect it to the radio? There is no aux antenna jack, only a screw that allows the telescoping antenna to be pulled out.

The amplifier does come with an adaptor, coax to bare wire (one red, one black). I have already experimented and opened the case to see if there were matching wires inside, only a single stiff metal wire that touches the antenna and then comes up and touches the circuit board.

I can include pictures if it helps at all. This has to be possible somehow...right?

2. Audioguru

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
    Connect the amplifier's adapter's red wire to the radio antenna screw and connect the black wire to the radio's ground.

3. Audioguru

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
    I forgot to say that an antenna amplifier is usually overloaded by strong local stations or its output overloads the radio causing them to be smeared all over the dial of the radio.

4. nato41

nato41

Apr 25, 2017
    Thank you! I will give it a try. One quick question because I am not too swift with this kind of stuff. The radio only has a two prong plug, is there still a ground inside the radio somewhere to tap into or do I have to run a wire and ground it to something else?
    Thanks again!

5. Audioguru

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
    The electric plug should NOT connected to the circuit ground.

Ask a Question