Connect with us

flyback voltage

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by hpfiend, Oct 24, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. hpfiend

hpfiend

Feb 20, 2013
    Hey all-

Hi there- If I use two schottky diodes in parallel in opposite orientations will that protect my circuit from flyback and allow current in both directions? Right now I have just two LED to absorb it but feel that this should be improved on.

Thanks!

Here is a ASCII diagram

-----INDUCTOR--------
    |00000000000000000|
    Resistor0000000Resistor
    |00000000000000000|
    |------+ LED - -----------|
    |----- - LED + -----------|
    |00000000000000000|
    |00000000000000000|
    ----- + Battery - --------

0's are for blank space.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. hpfiend

hpfiend

Feb 20, 2013
    Specifically.....

Can anyone tell me what the circuit sees differently between two of these schottky diodes:
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...60R3sKQeCok7Vbb2br0wRu30VEk3xqlFeN/ISPuzLMxbI

installed in alternate orientations as in the circuit above

VS

two white LED's also installed in alternate orientations as in the circuit above?

Do they have a different resistance once voltage is applied? Both read 0 ohm with my multimeter.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  3. Laplace

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
    I believe this is the schematic translation of the ASCII diagram:

[​IMG]

Can you see why this won't work? :(

Attached Files:

4. hpfiend

hpfiend

Feb 20, 2013
    Yes, that is it, thank you!

5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    but did you read Laplace's question ?

Dave

6. hpfiend

hpfiend

Feb 20, 2013
    I did read his question. I figured he was restating it for me as if I knew why it wouldn't work, I wouldn't have asked in the first place?

I am confused

7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    OK forgetting the 2 resistors and the inductor exist for a moment

can you understand the problem with 2 diodes in parallel across the battery

Hint: even if there was only 1 diode and in a particular orientation you would have the problem.
    Do you see what that problem is ?

Dave

8. hpfiend

hpfiend

Feb 20, 2013
    oh- its a short to the battery...

Thanks!

9. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    thats it :)

and what Laplace was hinting at

Dave

10. hpfiend

hpfiend

Feb 20, 2013
    Laplace-

What software did you use to make that nice diagram?

Thanks!

11. Laplace

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
    I used LibreOffice Draw to create the schematic, and used GIMP to finalize the graphics .png file, both running on Linux. I think there may be versions that run on Windows (don't really know and don't care).

Have attached a copy of the Draw .odg file with your schematic on the second slide. On the first slide are basic components that I create as I need them. It is a work in progress. Of course, I do have more professional tools I could use to produce circuit diagrams but this is an experiment to see if free, open-source software can produce acceptable results.

Attached Files:

12. hpfiend

hpfiend

Feb 20, 2013
    Ok- I downloaded libredraw and with your components file I made this! Thanks!

Will this work as flyback emf protection?

I have a positive 10 volts on one side of the source and a -14 volts on the other for a net -4 volts.

It still looks like a short to the battery but I can't figure out any other way to do it but to absorb the pulse with a bunch of LEDs

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

13. Laplace

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
    When the loop is closed current (blue) from the battery flows through the resistors and inductor. Note that the diode is reverse-biased. When the switch suddenly opens, current through the inductor does not suddenly stop, rather the inductor generates a flyback voltage as high as necessary to find a path for the current. In this case the inductive kick forward biases the diode and current flows until the magnetic field collapses.

[​IMG]

Two, possibly too subtle, points regarding use of Libre Draw. 1: Alignment is easier with snap-to-grid turned on. Component symbols are constructed so that when placing the symbol the reference point snaps to a grid point and any symbol connection points will also be located at a grid point for easy connection of a line. 2: Junction points at the beginning or end of a line are a property of the line itself. Select a line and edit the line properties for arrow styles - select the 'circle' and check the 'center' box.

Attached Files:

14. hpfiend

hpfiend

Feb 20, 2013
    Thank you Laplace!

Ask a Question