Connect with us

Flyback transformer spark

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by mrel, Jul 5, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. mrel

mrel

Jul 2, 2008
    Hello
    Rca television model 20f420t ,what cause red wire that come from flyback transformer to the Cathode ray tube to have arc spark jump from the red wire to cathode ray tube outside body of the tube.
    I wrap the red wire that carry 20000 volts with electrical tape the spark still jump from tape to body of the cathode ray tube.
    The arc spark jump from 20000 volts wire to cathode ray tube body than television shut down.
    Does that mean televison flyback transformer put out to much voltage is that why voltage is jump out of the high voltage wire or is just wire have bad insulated covering.
    If it just insulated covering,what to use to cover wire where the sparkis is jumping.
    mrel

2. brevor

brevor

Apr 9, 2013
    Bad insulation on the wire, electrical tape won't work at 20,000 volts. You need to replace the wire, but it may not be possible to do that.

3. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    Just use silicon. That's all we used for 20 years.

4. mrel

mrel

Jul 2, 2008
    Colin
    I guessing you in the repair trade ,since you said you use silicon for 20 years to do repair.
    did not know silicone can stand up 20,000 volts.

So you don't think there overload in the flyback circuit.
    Since you suggest use silicone .
    Can you tell me what kind silicone,since there so many silicone products on the market

5. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    Just use the $3 tube of silicon sealant and a gun. They are all the same, with incredible insulation properties. The result is better than the original HT leads and triplers.

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    For use around electronics, it is probably best to get a silicone that is "neutral cure". The release of acetic acid during the curing process isn't the best for electronics.

Arouse1973 likes this.
  7. debe

debe

Oct 15, 2011
    I would also check the voltage of the powersupply. If its too high it can cause that problem.

(*steve*) likes this.
  8. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    It's worth cautioning the use of a hv probe, and not a multimeter to measure the high side. Your meter and test leads are likely rated for <600v, not the 25kv or more going to the crt.

Martaine2005 likes this.
Ask a Question