Connect with us

flyback transformer questions

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by xBxROCKx, Apr 13, 2013.

1. xBxROCKx

xBxROCKx

Apr 13, 2013
    I have several flyback transformers one of which i'd like to install into a tesla coil. I am a second semester student of electronics in Lafayette Louisiana. I would like to know (in a very specific manner) exactly how i should implement my flyback into my circuit. I have worked with 555 timers and mosfet transistors but when it comes to getting a noticeable response from y flyback i keep coming up short. everyone website or forum i have looked at does not give the full spectrum of exactly what is needed for this to work. I am good at following schematics but I cant seem to get it to work properly. A very detailed schematic or directions would be greatly appreciated.

Brandon Landry
    [email protected]

2. john monks

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
    Do you have a make and model number or part number for your fly-back transformer? Setting them up can be tricky but we need to know where you are starting from and what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to build a Jacobs ladder?

3. xBxROCKx

xBxROCKx

Apr 13, 2013
    I think the model number is 409-22-9804
    I also see the word "muRata"
    I'm making a switchable Jacobs ladder, plasma globe, tesla coil. I will do all three each being done using a lightbulb.

4. Bradley

Bradley

Mar 17, 2015
    Just use a high voltage, high frequency ballast. I'm using a T8 light ballast that runs about 800v on an open circuit. Just run that to the input pins on the bottom of the flyback and you'll easily get plenty of HV for a spark gap coil that's tuned right!! Just DONT use the biggest flyback you can find or the ballast will short out. I found this out the hard way. I've also used an MKP 250v cap on the input line of the ballast. I've been using the same ballast now for weeks!!

5. Bradley

Bradley

Mar 17, 2015
    Lol this post is 2 yrs old

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

yup and the OP is probably no longer around ;)

Dave

Bradley likes this.
Ask a Question