Connect with us

Flushing my Toilet

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by Rick Johnson, Feb 26, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Rick Johnson

Rick Johnson

May 11, 2016
    Hi Guys
    I have a z-wave momentary switch with a set of dry contacts that I can program how long I want the contacts to close. I need something to lift the flapper up in the toilet
    Any ideas
    Thanks
    Rick

2. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    More description might be needed but based on what you wrote, it seems like the average small solenoid with sufficient pull force would do the job, just needs to pull a corrosion resistant [wire, cord, chain, or rod with some play or swivel joints at one or both ends] connection to the flapper.

In a "standard" (USA?) toilet flapper arrangement you'd only need to energize the solenoid for a moment (a few seconds longer wouldn't hurt either but would waste a little power), only needs enough movement range to break the flapper seal, then the air trapped under it makes it float until the reservoir tank is empty so it shuts and seals again.

3. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    A solenoid would make a distinct 'clack' noise - not sure whether that would be acceptable or not. I'd go with a rotating disk (motor driven) with a rod connected on the end of an arm to give the 'pull' motion as it rotated through 360 degrees.

Silent, smooth etc. Small electric motors with gear reduction are quite easily found these days.

4. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    What's wrong with the usual hand-operated lever/button?

5. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    I asked that question of my Mother-in-law who had a bathroom refurbished and there, to my horror/surprise, was push-button toilet! One button for a long flush, one for a short, both with a lovely white pulsating LED lighting effect around the switch!

Ask a Question