Connect with us

fluorescent ballast as step up?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by boombabe, Aug 28, 2012.

  1. boombabe


    Aug 28, 2012
    Thanks for reading my question.
    I am trying to test a grid tie inverter that needs a minimum of 200 vdc 600 vdc max to operate.
    The source can not be the grid as far as I know. So I need to mimic a PV array.

    Cost is an issue - this is only a sync test - so I was wondering if I could use an older ballast that puts out 339 v ac (after the ups 120v) - bridge rectifier...and get my minimum dc voltage. I can't find a step up transformer locally....

    If you see other possibilities...Im all ears. The UPS batteries in Europe produce the minimum and I have seen them rectify to get them to run the test..our ups are commonly 120 ac...not enough. to rectify.
    Thanks for the guidance.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  2. CocaCola


    Apr 7, 2012
  3. boombabe


    Aug 28, 2012
    I need at least 500 watts...
    Do you think the fluor ballast is a "no no"...I think so...not sure why...but...
    I will get a 500 watt inverter for a car battery --- never thought of that. Thanks!
  4. rdevendrakumar1989


    Aug 9, 2012
    Use 3 phase supply and use 3 phase rectifier... U can get your desired output.. For Eg.. P-P voltage is 400 then Vdc is 540v..
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day