Connect with us

Fluke 77

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by mpm, Jul 30, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. mpm

mpm Guest

Ack!

My trusty Fluke-77 voltmeter is falling apart.

Today, I noticed the 10-amp fuse is blown (again! - this seems to happen quite regularly even though I ALWAYS treat it right. It's one of those inexplicable things in nature, I guess.?) Or I have elves in the toolbox at night...

I discovered today that the continuity "beeper" doesn't work unless you have all the back panel case screws tight. (That might be normal?)

But more troubling, the selector knob now rotates counter-clockwise past the "OFF" position. WTF? When did that start?

I replaced the battery and fuse (other fuse was OK).
    Meter still works fine - but I did browse Fluke.com to see what they were offering these days, just for kicks. Note: Did not care for the updated look of the 77. Quite ugly, in fact.

Which I suppose is good for the wallet.
    Had the probes been damaged (cut, worn, etc..) then maybe I could justify it..

I guess I just wish things would quit falling apart. (50 year old engineers included. Ha!!)

-mpm

2. I have a 73 series II or something like that, a $20 hamfest special from
    probably $20 years ago.

The knobs is starting to fall apart, and the things to keep the knob from
    doing a 360 broke off long ago. I think the hold feature died, but I never
    use that.

I did get a new Fluke meter, whatever the "standard" one is these days. It
    has some sort of moisture sensitivity problem and is only about twice as
    large as the old meter, which is annoying. It's nice and all, but the old
    one is still better sized. The old one fit with leads and some tools in
    one of those canvas electrician's pouches. New meter has it's own bag now.

3. mpm

mpm Guest

I will take that under advisement. Thanks!!
    Mine has the Fluke hard rubber solid surround case, so the case screws are hidden somewhat. Only one was loose, but it was enough to cause intermittent operation of the piezo.

I replaced the 10-Amp fuse (a Littlefuse KLK-10A, which is what was in it).Works fine. Maybe I am blowing the fuse and don't realize it. But I thought that fuse was out of the circuit if the red probe were not in the 10A hole? And I mostly use the meter for volts & ohms. Personally, I think gremlins are afoot here... Luckily, I found a stash of 10Amp fuses, so I guess I'm good to go.

I think maybe when we hire our next field engineer, I'll "let" him/her inherit this "77" and I'll go get me a new one. One of the perks of owning your own company. (Of course, I'll never actually get around to that..)

4. Joerg

Joerg Guest

When my old Citroen shifted into 5 (it only had four gears ...) the
    shift stick sailed into the passenger area. It had corroded itself off.

Or if the fuse contacts are loose/corroded/gunked/crudded, the fuse gets
    hotter than normal and ... phut.

5. Robert Baer

Robert Baer Guest

Ask a Question