Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Fluke 123 replacement LCD

peterloron

Sep 11, 2009
I have a Fluke 123 scopemeter which isn't starting up. I'm still working through the service manual troubleshooting steps, but it looks like it may be a dead LCD screen.

Can anybody point me to a replacement unit? I don't really want to spend $570 to send it to Fluke...

Thanks.

-Pete

lulusoff

Oct 9, 2009
Mine has dark lines... I can't find any online store to order the screen. There must be a place for that part other than Fluke. I keep looking, but if you find something, let me know please

peterloron

Sep 11, 2009
One of these days when real life gets out of the way, I'll try and figure out what the specs of the screen are, and then maybe a replacement can be located.

joelfriend

Nov 18, 2009
Replacement LCD for Fluke Scopemeter 123

You can purchase a replacement LCD directly from Fluke for $351.81 (as of November 2009). Their part number for that display is 188794. 1-888-99-FLUKE.

joelfriend

Nov 18, 2009
The LCD is actually an SII (Seiko) C601002, 240x240 monochrome. But it must be an OEM part since there is nothing listed for it either on the SII website or the entire web, according to Google.

The blank lines are due to one of two things. Either a chip has gone bad or has some broken solder joints, or (more commonly) some of the TCP/TAB bonds have broken. That is the flex-to-glass or flex-to-board bonds.

peterloron

Sep 11, 2009
I'm still swamped, but it might be educational to find some other 240x240 displays and try plugging them in to see if the Fluke is speaking some common sequence to the display.

peterloron

Sep 11, 2009
No, my 123 is more broken than that. It makes the startup beep, and the backlight comes on, but nothing else. If I *KNEW* a new LCD would fix it, I might just buy a new one from Fluke, although it kills me to spend that kind of dough on a small monochrome display...

I need somebody in the Seattle area with a working 123 who is willing to mix/match parts to find out what is busted on mine...

joelfriend

Nov 18, 2009
Pete,

When the backlight comes on, is the display nice and blue or "light black"? Confirm that you do indeed have the Fluke service manual for this scope.

peterloron

Sep 11, 2009
It is nice and blue when the backlight is on and "light black" when it is off. I can toggle the backlight on and off with the button.

I do have the 123 service manual, downloaded from Fluke. I haven't been able to get me, spare time, and the oscilloscope together long enough to run through the tests listed therein to try and determine if the LCD is broken or if something is amiss on the mainboard.

joelfriend

Nov 18, 2009
Interesting. It should never go "light black". The backlight button controls a two-step brightness; it does not turn the light on and off. Just bright and dim.

If you are in the Springfield, MO area any time, let me know and we could try the part-swapping idea with my 123.

jrs314159

Dec 5, 2009
Others are interested

From your comment below, I believe several people would be interested in this fix. Would you mind describing the details of how you did it?

Success! I had a few hours this Thanksgiving day before the formalities got underway, so I tested my theoretical idea. Much to my satisfaction and pleasure, it actually worked.

Before:

After re-bonding:

If this describes your problem, I'll post how I did it. It takes patience and a steady hand plus crafting a tool. Or if you don't have time or tooling or patience, I'd be glad to try my own hand on yours.

The missing vertical lines on the far right are not due to the same problem. They have a longer history back to some damage from rough service.

Joel Friend
Right-Click Computer Service​

dskebo

Dec 20, 2009
My fluke 199B is doing the same thing. Can you repair the 199 also?

joelfriend

Nov 18, 2009
dskebo,

Short answer: I don't know.

Long answer: Probably so. The equipment we have is the 120 series, so we developed the repair process for that specific LCD. In theory, we can repair any LCD experiencing the blank line problem. In reality, it all depends on how much space is between certain components and if we can get in there to do the work.

We don't have a 190 series on which to check this out, but I've got an idea. Go to Right-Click's Scopemeter Display Repair page and click the e-mail address on the header to send me an e-mail. I'll go over my idea with you.

CarlosMartinez

Nov 16, 2015
Interesting. It should never go "light black". The backlight button controls a two-step brightness; it does not turn the light on and off. Just bright and dim.

If you are in the Springfield, MO area any time, let me know and we could try the part-swapping idea with my 123.
Others are interested

From your comment below, I believe several people would be interested in this fix. Would you mind describing the details of how you did it?

hello I'm the same problem whit my lcd Fluke 123. Please can you send me how you resolved that