Connect with us

FLIR

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by BeeJ, Oct 30, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. BeeJ

BeeJ Guest

Looking at FLIR handhelds to do a bunch of tasks including identifying
    hot components / traces. I also plan to use it for monitoring room air
    leaks and wall insulation.

1) are there any features of a particular FLIR model that is
    advantageous?

2) is there a place to get a better price break? New! One unit.

2. mike

mike Guest

Do the math.
    I'm gonna use round numbers, YMMV.
    If you want to look at a PCB with SMT devices, you may want 1mm resolution.
    If your IR scanner has 160pixel resolution, that gives you a 16cm
    field of view. That's close focus and the depth of field will be lousy.
    Will be useless for scanning a wall for leaks.

More likely, affordable scanners will work fine for the wall leaks
    and be useless on small components.

Unless you get an IR scanner with zoom and/or macro focus adjustment...
    or have a close-up lens made out of Germanium, it'll be hard to
    make both measurements with one device.

People overestimate the temperature measurement capabilities of IR.
    Emissivity plays a big part when measuring random devices on a PCB.
    I did some experiments 30 years ago. Turns out that spraying
    a board with foot powder normalized the readings nicely.
    Problem was that the foot powder wouldn't wash off. Bummer...

3. tm

tm Guest

Kapton tape is very good for emissivity. Really works well when placed on a
    gold plated part. It is very black to long wave IR.

4. N_Cook

N_Cook Guest

Laying around I have some Neil Brown, USA sub-mm fast response thermistors.
    Next time I'm in that situation I will try one along with non-contact IR
    thermometer

5. nesesu

nesesu Guest

On 10/30/2012 3:00 PM, BeeJ wrote: >> Looking at FLIR handhelds to do a bunch of tasks including identifying >> hot components / traces. I also plan to use it for monitoring room air >> leaks and wall insulation. >> >> 1) are there any features of a particular FLIR model that is >> advantageous? >>>> 2) is there a place to get a better price break? New! One unit. >> >> >Do the math. > I'm gonna use round numbers, YMMV. > If you want to look ata PCB with SMT devices, you may want 1mm > resolution. > If your IR scanner has 160pixel resolution, that gives you a 16cm > field of view. That's close focus and the depth of field will be lousy. > Will be useless for scanning a wall for leaks. > > More likely, affordable scanners will work fine for the wall leaks > and be useless on small components. > > Unless you get an IR scanner with zoom and/or macro focus adjustment... > or have a close-up lens made out of Germanium, it'll be hard to > make both measurements with one device. > > People overestimate the temperature measurement capabilities of IR. > Emissivity plays a big part when measuring random devices on a PCB. > I did some experiments 30 years ago. Turns out that spraying > a board with foot powder normalized the readings nicely. > Problem was that the foot powder wouldn't wash off. Bummer... Kapton tape is very good for emissivity. Really works well when placed on a gold plated part. It is very black to long wave IR.

Some 20 years ago we found that ordinary black electrical tape [non shiny] gave excellent correlation to measurement with a contact probe on 'bright' metal parts when 'looking' with Fluke IR probe. Cheap and easily removed after testing.

Neil S.

6. mike

mike Guest

e device.> > People overestimate the temperature measurement capabilities of IR.> Emissivity plays a big part when measuring random devices on a PCB.> I did some experiments 30 years ago. Turns out that spraying> a board with foot powder normalized the readings nicely.> Problem was that the foot powder wouldn't wash off. Bummer... Kapton tape is very good for emissivity. Really works well when placed on a gold plated part. It is very black to long wave IR.
    Piece of cake; cut the tape into hundreds of tiny pieces and stick one on
    every SMT part on the board. Should work great.

Ask a Question