Connect with us

Flip flops

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by bhuvanesh, Aug 30, 2014.

1. bhuvanesh

bhuvanesh

Aug 29, 2013
    Do flip flop serve as temporary or permanent memory and state the reason why . Any one application of flip flops.please.Thank you in advance

2. Laplace

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
    Consider what would cause a flip flop to lose its memory state. Would that then be permanent or temporary memory?

Contrast that with another storage device such as a CD-ROM. Putting the CD in a parked car on the dashboard, at high noon when it is possible to fry eggs on the sidewalk here in Arizona, will surely make the CD unreadable. So is the CD a permanent or temporary memory device?

bhuvanesh likes this.
  3. bhuvanesh

bhuvanesh

Aug 29, 2013
    lose of electric power leave the flip flop in unknown state .so it is temporary one ,i guess so?
    cd are permanent storage medium,but what the above line says.please come again clearly

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Consider that you use the device according to the instructions.

In normal use, what happens?

bhuvanesh likes this.
  5. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Please post homework questions in the homework forum. I have moved this thread.

6. Laplace

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
    CD-left-in-Arizona-sun.jpg
    Sun melts plastic. CDs are plastic.

bhuvanesh likes this.
  7. bhuvanesh

bhuvanesh

Aug 29, 2013
    so it depends on the place where we use it,right?
    CDs are permanent storage medium inside room(normal temp)
    but its not the case when we use inside micro oven(kind of high temp area)
    so would you making this contrast to flip flops
    Thank you

8. bhuvanesh

bhuvanesh

Aug 29, 2013
    i really don't know what makes you sure this is homework question.i got this doubt while reading books so, is this home work question?

9. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    You're obviously learning stuff. Whether it's "homework" or your own private study, we'll just assume that figuring it out for yourself will give you better insight than us just giving you the answer. So the homework section is best as it might prevent someone from just blurting out the answer and having you miss useful detail.

Consider my post above. What is a reasonable definition of permanent in the question you are answering? Does it mean eternal? Does it mean "unable to be destroyed"? Or does it mean "under normal end-user operating conditions"?

10. bhuvanesh

bhuvanesh

Aug 29, 2013
    okay i got you.
    In my sense permanent mean (non volatile).That is not being erased when power goes off

11. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Excellent, yes.

Now there could be another reading, where it means that not only is it not lost when the power fails (non-volatile) but also that it cannot be altered (read-only).

With both meanings ROM is permanent. But flash memory is only permanent with respect to your definition.

Ask a Question