Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Flashing display on console for exercise bike

Jeff B1983

Apr 30, 2017
Hello

I have a recumbent exercise bike that I wanted to start using again, it had been previously on loan to a friend that said it was working. However, anytime I connect it to power, the display just kinda flashes and cycles.

The bike is a NordicTrack C3si, if that helps at all. I couldn't attach videos, so I've linked a dropbox with 2 short videos of what is happening(Sorry for the poor quality). There are also a few pictures of the boards that I took in case I couldn't remember how to put it all back together.

I've tried with both an AC adapter and batteries, both with the same result.
I disconnected everything and reconnected.
Although the person I had lent it to swears that the AC adapter they were using was proper voltage and amperage, I wouldn't write it off as impossible that something else was used.

My electronic knowledge is limited so I'm not sure what other information would be helpful, but if I can provide anything else, I will. What I'm trying to figure out at this point is if it's repairable or not. The bike is basically trash without the console, since the resistance is controlled by it.

Thanks for any help you can give!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yk0anl7om6t4lxm/AADflpUUM85VWp0UQNWjnvv9a?dl=0

20170419_161144.jpg 20170419_161148.jpg 20170419_161154.jpg 20170419_161203.jpg 20170419_161208.jpg
(Mod edit: added images)

Last edited by a moderator:

Joosh

Feb 25, 2017
Couldn't get your videos to play on my phone but I'm assuming the screen is just coming on then going off again? I would start by having a good look at the components on the board for anything obvious. Burnt up, damaged, blown fuses, leaks from or bulged tops on capacitors and so on.

After that you ideally need a schematic to fault find easily. If not you will need to work out where your supply goes from the main pos neg inputs and follow it around your board checking voltages and working out what you should be getting where.

Please be careful if the board has mains voltage on it, if you are not confident do not attempt it.

Josh