Connect with us

Flash tube

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Vinc, Apr 15, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Vinc

Vinc

Apr 15, 2015
    Is there someone know where we can buy this flash tube ? ( see picture)

Attached Files:

2. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Can you tell us how you are using this flash tube? Any idea of how many watt-seconds it will dissipate? Flash rate? Size of energy storage capacitor in microfarads? Voltage?

3. Vinc

Vinc

Apr 15, 2015
    This flash tube goes in a Print Quick Camera to control register on a printing press. The Camera manufacturer is Graphics Microsystem Inc and they don't want to sell only the flash tube and it's very expensive when we send to them the camera. so we try to find that kind of tube to be able to change by ourself. We don't have specification of this flash tube. Do you know how we kind find the specification you asking ? Can we do some test ?? thanks for your help.

4. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    From your image, it looks like a short-arc linear flash tube with an external trigger electrode attached to the cathode (left electrode with pointed tip). There is probably a high-voltage pulse transformer inserted in series with the cathode lead to fire the tube. This tube is somewhat unusual in that short-arc xenon flash tubes appear to be rare. After quickly examining several hundred pictures on the Internet, I could not find a single example!. Short-arc xenon lamps are common, but these are readily identified by the spherical quartz shell surrounding the arc. They operate continuously (rather than flashing) and require forced-air cooling. Not what you want!

You should trace the wiring from the anode back to a largeish high-voltage capacitor and determine the value of that capacitor. If possible, measure the anode terminal voltage with respect to the cathode terminal with the broken tube removed. There are probably interlock switches that must be defeated to allow this measurement. Be careful! The energy stored in these capacitors is enough to kill you! And if you do manage to by-pass the interlocks to enable the high voltage, and thereby charge up the energy-storage capacitor, you must then find a way to safely discharge it. A technician experienced in working with high voltage should perform the measurements. This is probably why the company that sells the registration camera won't sell you a flash tube. They are afraid of liability if someone gets hurt.

The product 1/2 CV² where C is in farads and V is in volts will tell you how many watt-seconds of energy the flash tube will dissipate with each flash. Try to find a linear flash tube (there are thousands of them available!) somewhere on the Web with similar arc length and watt-second rating as your broken tube.

5. Vinc

Vinc

Apr 15, 2015
    Thanks for this information.... very interesting. I will check with our technician about yours details. But reading your email I think we don't have choice to work with the Camera manufacturer.

6. Vinc

Vinc

Apr 15, 2015
    did you find the same on radio shack web site ?? Can you give me the link because I can't find it.

7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    That poster was a spammer and has been banned .... I wouldn't put any trust in that radio shack option unless you personally check it out

Dave

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  8. Vinc

Vinc

Apr 15, 2015
    I found nothing in the radio shack web site... only some standard strobe light...
    thanks

9. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Have you had any success in identifying the energy storage capacitor that is discharged for each flash, and measuring its charged voltage state? These two pieces of information are essential to specifying a replacement flash lamp.

10. Vinc

Vinc

Apr 15, 2015
    I finally found who make this lamp, it's Excelitas. www.excelitas.com It was Perkin Elmer in the past and Excelitas bought them.
    Thanks again for your help..
    Vinc

hevans1944 and davenn like this.
  11. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    cool :) well done

Ask a Question