Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Fixing an iPhone glass and LCD

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Unfortunately my wife dropped hers and smashed the screen.

The LCD panel also didn't work. I suspect this may have been due to the internal connector jarring loose, but I damaged the screen removing it and the replacement worked, so who knows?

There are many guides on the net, but there are a few things that are often glossed over in the various guides.

I won't give you a guide, but I will suggest a few things that I think will make your life easier...

0) If you leave the iPhone powered on, you can more easily check if your repairs work prior to putting everything back together. Of course this means you should use plastic tools. In my case the touchscreen was so broken and the LCD panel displayed nothing, so turning it off was not possible in any case.

1) Use the suction cap technique to remove the glass. Place it at the right end so you don't pull off the connectors. If you can't do this, be careful not to damage the seal around the edge.

2) when removing connection #3, the little lever may be a black strip on a white body, or a white strip on a black body.

3) when removing the LCD panel, use a fingernail, or some thin plastic to separate the metal clips on one side of the LCD panel. Lots of instructions give you various good ways to damage the screen on removal. This isn't too important if you intend replacing the LCD panel too.

4) use a cotton bud (Q-tip) to place methylated spirits where the front glass is glued to the seal to assist in removal. It is pretty fast and means that you don't blow shards of glass around and/or smash the glass. I lifted portions of the edges firsat with a screwdriver then let metho into the gap. It wicks along and melts the glue pretty quickly. Go in stages. It also means you don;t damage or stress stuff too much.

5) Use small bits of double sided tape to secure the glass if you didn't order the correct sticky bits.

6) Don't remove the protective plastic until you absolutely have to. This means leaving it on the front and back of the glass while you're sticking the glass into place.

7) take time to marvel at the insides of your iPhone.

8) Get a cover that protrudes slightly above the screen to help protect your iphone because you won't want to do this a second time.

9) Bask in the glory you get for fixing your wife's iPhone.