Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Fixing an induction stove

Monot

Dec 25, 2014
Hi, I am trying to fix an old induction stove that just broke.
As I was using it I smelled something burning and it stopped working.I was frying something for an extended period of time, so maybe that caused overheating and something blew.

I have no experience fixing electronics (the only time I tried fixing a computer mouse with soldering tool resulted in a failure) but my guess is that this can be fixed pretty easily by replacing a blown component.

Can someone take a look at the picture of the inside and suggest what Component I might try replacing/ how I can tell what component is broken?

Thank you so much.

image.jpg

Last edited:

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

I have no experience with induction stoves - either using them or fixing them - but I'm interested to learn about them.

Can you tell us the make and model number of the stove please.

I take it that this unit sits underneath the top surface, with the big inductor in the middle sitting flat against the underside of the surface, right?

Is it just the one element that's failed? The others are OK?

There's nothing obviously failed on that board. Sometimes components will fail without any visible indication.

Have you checked the glass fuse? In that picture, it's on the right, about 1/3 of the way up.

Is it easy to remove the inductor? It looks like it's held in place with a few screws. There may be components underneath it.

There seems to be a motor at the top left corner of your picture. Do you know what it's for? Is it a fan for cooling?

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
An Induction stove is a really hi tech stuff not to be handled by amateurs. One component that fails for sure is the IGBT in series with the induction coil. The failure could be because of overheating (insufficient cooling) or the result of a chain of failures of other components - diodes, transistors, IC's.
Troubleshooting involves testing each and every component which is not easy in the field.

See this and you may be able to realize the complexity.

http://www.manualslib.com/products/Samsung-S3f84b8-338323.html

73cat

Dec 30, 2014
An Induction stove is a really hi tech stuff not to be handled by amateurs. One component that fails for sure is the IGBT in series with the induction coil. The failure could be because of overheating (insufficient cooling) or the result of a chain of failures of other components - diodes, transistors, IC's.
Troubleshooting involves testing each and every component which is not easy in the field.

See this and you may be able to realize the complexity.
Helpful link you provided, thanks to help each other.