Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Fixing a 1993 Sharp VCR.

cthurlby

Jul 29, 2018
The unit is hardly ever used. It will take the tape in but nothing happens subsequent to that. It also will not eject properly...

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
This is probably a mechanical instead of electronic problem, something like grease hardening or rubber belts or rollers dry rotting away after all these years so they're no longer grippy.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If it is a mechanical fault then opening the unit and watching how the mechanism works and 'helping it on its way' can often reveal where the mechanism sticks and repairs can be made.

cthurlby

Jul 29, 2018
I did open up the unit and the middle part moves to the left and engages but then the other mechanism doesn't engage and take the tape to the round reader part. I also opened the back and the belt is fine. Like I said earlier the vcr was hardly used at all... Thanks for the reply Kelly's Eyes...

cthurlby

Jul 29, 2018
Thanks Dave, but the grease is still pliable and the belts are looking good also. Nothing mechanical happens after the tape is placed in the unit. Could it be an electrical situation?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
There are far too many interlocking switches, detectors, movements etc to offer an answer without some context (pictures, schematic etc).

As you can appreciate, if just one of those devices fails or seizes then the system 'stops' - they are quite 'delicate' in that respect. It can take ages to figure out what the movement is 'meant' to do before you even realise there is a switch or interlock in action - and it's invariably situated where you can't see it!

If the unit is valuable to you then seek local professional assistance else it's more useful if you're a boat owner in need of an anchor.

nepow

Jul 18, 2011
There are far too many interlocking switches, detectors, movements etc to offer an answer without some context (pictures, schematic etc).

As you can appreciate, if just one of those devices fails or seizes then the system 'stops' - they are quite 'delicate' in that respect. It can take ages to figure out what the movement is 'meant' to do before you even realise there is a switch or interlock in action - and it's invariably situated where you can't see it!

If the unit is valuable to you then seek local professional assistance else it's more useful if you're a boat owner in need of an anchor.
As I remember way back then many VCR's relied upon a single mechanical motor drive to perform tape loading and lacing up etc. A common method of sequencing the systems control circuits was to use a rotary or slide switch which kept track of the machines operating positional modes. They were called system switches I think and had many contact points and after time became either worn or tarnished. The results varied to incomplete mechanical functions or no functions similar to your case. If you were lucky the switches were mounted in a position where the contacts could be cleaned with care, or in the worse cases well hidden below nylon cam wheels in which case to gain access required removing the timing gear assembly. The problem then was making certain the timing assembly was correctly refitted and aligned! tricky one