Connect with us

Fitting an fm antenna to my stereo radio

Discussion in 'Audio' started by geordief, Nov 24, 2021 at 5:08 PM.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. geordief

geordief

Wednesday
    • I got a Akai aa-m8l stereo radio receiver second hand and it has come without an fm antenna although there is a point on it at the back for a 75 ohm antenna.

It looked like a terrestrial tv antenna would go into it (I have a few) but it was little too large.

Can I order this part online (or from shop) and work away as if it was a normal tv antenna?(attach a coaxial

cable and solder a couple of extensions)

Or is it just as easy (and cheap) to buy a 75 ohm fm radio antenna)?

[mod edit: removed social media links]

Leave a Comment

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2021 at 5:38 PM
  2. bertus

bertus Moderator

Nov 8, 2019
  3. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    Just get a whole antenna, F type male, wire or mast already attached. Examples:

https://www.amazon.com/75-ohm-fm-antenna/s?k=75+ohm+fm+antenna

If you have bad reception and need a roof mount antenna or extended outside, yes you could run coax to an antenna element but if a long run, will need an amp designed for that frequency band.

geordief likes this.
  4. geordief

geordief

Wednesday
    I just have a house with very thick walls and need a small indoors antenna to "look around the corner" as it were.
    I don't need anything on the roof

I am getting half decent reception as it is but imagine it will be better if I attach an aerial of some sort to the fm antenna socket.

5. geordief

geordief

Wednesday
    Thanks. That seems to be the job. :)

Ask a Question