Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Fish Tank repair

GWfan

Mar 3, 2011
Hi all,

Hope someone can help me with this. I have a fish tank which included a pump that mechanically died rather than electrically. I have now disconnected the faulty pump and would like to try and get the internal lighting and the heater back up and running too (all on the one plug as before), but I'm not 100% certain where best to start now the pump has been disconnected...

The lid of the tank contains all the electrics and a two-pronged power switch for the light which is currently exposed. There's also a heavy white power box with what appears to have a pair of twin terminals - one with a single live wire / flat connector (its twin wire is loose / disconnected) for the power switch, and a second live wire connected to one half of the light bulb connector and ballast (the second connector, too, is now disconnected).

There's also a 4-way choc block which I've currently hooked the plug and heater up to for a quick test. The discarded pump also has a live / neutral pair of wires which factors into this somehow, but will now be replaced by a standalone pump with its own plug.

The heater (and disconnected pump) are intended to be on constantly. The only thing the power switch controls is the flourescent lightbulb. Something else I can't figure out for sure is how the power supply keeps the heater and now disconnected pump continually running while simultaneously allowing the power switch to control the light. :/

Any all / help greatly appreciated!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi there, welcome to the forum,
how about a few well focussed photos of the wiring ? :)
hard to make informative comments without seeing the setup

Pumps are usually easy to fix The rubber "cup" generally perishes and becomes leaky, it will then stop pumping air. A trip to your local petshop will probably procure a replacement rubber "cup" its a very common problem and replacements are readily available.

cheers
Dave