Connect with us

Finding full load amperage

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Fry, Oct 21, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Fry

Fry

Oct 21, 2014
    I was wanting to do a side project in which a watch is supplementally powered by a linear generator. I realize this won't give me much power, its purpose is simply to increase the time between charges. Right now, it is supposed to be charged ~every month. Other than the battery, I can't find any information on the electrical properties of the watch. Does anyone know how I can find the maimum ratings without damaging it?
    Also, although I was planning on a linear generator, if anyone knows a somewhat cheaper, or somewhat more efiicient way of providing supplemental power please let me know.

2. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!

Aug 27, 2013
    Hey Fry! Welcome to EP!

Hrmmm, my watch (a $30 Timex digital watch my son gave me ~15 years ago) needs a new battery about every 5 years....I am a bit perplexed by the notion that any watch would be worth the trouble of building any type of charging system for...much less something as challenging as a linear alternator....

Putting that aside, if you have specifications on the battery then that is all the information requisite since you already told us how long a charge lasts....So if you will share the battery information then we can figure out how much power the watch requires....

As far as "somewhat cheaper, or somewhat more efficient method"....I would think solar power would be the natural first choice with several other choices coming to mind before we worked our way down to a linear alternator....

FIsh

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Let's see 200mAh over 5 years, that's about 40,000 hours, or an average current of 5uA.

4. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    A wristwatch? That needs to be recharged every month? What's the make and model number?

Ask a Question