Connect with us

Finding Correct Cable to connect Console to CRT

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Jaffles, Apr 4, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Jaffles


    Apr 4, 2015
    Hello! I am currently trying to set up a TV and console in my dorm room, but am having trouble dealing with a very limited CRT.

    The CRT only has one input on the back of it that allows a cable box to be plugged in. It's a very old, cheap tv only designed to display cable. I have jury rigged a solution where I have plugged in a VCR into the tv, and plugged the RCA connector from the console into the ports on the VCR. It's not really feasible for me to lug around the CRT and the VCR to school and back, however so I was wondering if there is a cable out there that can connect to the RCA connector from the console on one end and plug into the AV cable port on the tv?

    I can post pictures if I'm using the wrong terminology and such. The console is a Nintendo Gamecube if that's at all relevant.


    EDIT: Is what I'm looking for called an RA Modulator?
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  2. hevans1944

    hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

    Jun 21, 2012
    It is called an RF Modulator and is obsolete since digital TV replaced NTSC analog TV transmissions. Most new TVs support both standards. Your Nintendo Gamecube produces analog NTSC video, so that is why the VCR connection works. The VCR has an RF Modulator in it that produces an NTSC analog signal modulated on a TV channel, usually channel 3 or channel 4, and accepts external NTSC analog video on an RCA input jack. This one should work for you.
  3. Gryd3


    Jun 25, 2014
    Nice catch Hevans.
    The most recent nintendo that you could buy a 'cable' for was a Super NES which had an RF modulator tucked inside a little grey box at the end of the cable.
    Other than that, everything else uses Composite Video (Yellow, Red, White) at the very least. So, as Hevans suggested, the RF modulator will work ideally, or you could find a used TV for sale somewhere that had different inputs ;)

    *Remember that the 'RF Modulator' that you will be using will provide the lowest quality video/audio to the Television... next up is composite which is the yellow/white/red cables... then S-Video (Which can be a funny looking plug with 4-pins in it). Next up is High Definition which you 'can' use, but you won't get much of a benefit out of a gamecube.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day