Connect with us

finding bright 7 seg displays on the market

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by ChrisS, Feb 2, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. ChrisS

ChrisS

Oct 23, 2013
    I'm using one of these apparently 'super bright' 4x7seg displays in the 5v to IO configuration, all working well, but in even diffuse room daylight the brightness is rubbish, and I can't see the digits at all, i've tried putting a mild green transparent plastic cover over it, not much different, I've used three of them, all the same problem
    https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-led-backpack/1-2-inch-7-segment-backpack

Industry standard 7 seg displays seem to be much much brighter, such as on indicators, and is .56" - which is fine.
    How can I identify the brighter displays at places like aliexpress and banggood and dx (or your suggested link)?
    I don't have any wattage standards to go by in the 3.3v or 5v range, none of the listings in these sites say 'bright' as such..
    Anyone experienced in 7 seg displays know either wattage per digit or something to guide me to the right bright product?

Cheers

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Mild tint is insufficient. Use a strongly tinted, but still transparent cover. This will attenuate environmental light strongly (it has to pass 2*) while still allowing to read the LEDs (light passes only once). Have a look at commercial LED displays (e.g. a bedtime clock). This is done regularly.

3. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    Hmm uum ... what?

I'm confused as to why it's not bright enough, even the worst 7 segments should be bright enough to read in a brightly lit room!

This leads me to believe, the segments are over driven (starts bright then dims and stays dim) or under driven...

4. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    Also, that link is not for a 7 segment

Ask a Question