Connect with us

Figuring out how to build a remote relay

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by s10sleeper, May 9, 2012.

1. s10sleeper

s10sleeper

May 9, 2012
    I am currently trying to figure out a way to build a wireless relay, basically working like a wireless doorbell. The issue is that I have an office doorbell set up for my home accounting office, and would like to run a doorbell button to the front door also, as one is at the back. The crawlspace in the attic is extremely dangerous to crawl through, plus there aren't really any areas to fish a wire through.

This also gives me the ability to mess with electronics a little more as I have alot of fun with it although I am a beginner, with my experience mainly limited to automotive electronics. I have learned how to solder and desolder circuit boards, and repair cold joints.

is there any place to find a diagram for something like this, all it needs to do is close a circuit remotely such as with an RF signal as it doesn't seem that IR would work being so far away.

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Again not against DIY projects, but you do realize there is a commercial device that does exactly what you require that are supper cost effective?

They work with a little sound detection circuit board that is placed near you existing doorbell 'buzzer' and you simply plug in the new doorbell into any outlet... When someone rings your doorbell the sound detection circuit wirelessly rings the new doorbell... I installed dozens of these when I used to do home remodeling... Depending on your doorbell there are even some that run off the existing doorbells buzzer transformer, so the detection circuit doesn't need a battery (batteries last for a long time anyway) others use a reed switch and are placed in close proximity to the magnet that is activated and makes the buzzing or ringer to conserve power...

Since you are in the US I'm going to link you to one at Home Depot, not a recommendation just an example...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...Id=-1&keyword=doorbell+extendor&storeId=10051

Many times when I installed these I was able to find enough room inside the existing doorbell chime to hide the sender so that it was invisible, other time I just stuck it to the top of the existing timer and painted it to match the wall to better hide it...

Last edited: May 9, 2012
Ask a Question