Connect with us

Fender speaker fix help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by alexbazzi, Jun 10, 2013.

1. alexbazzi

alexbazzi

May 30, 2013
    Hey folks!
    I recently joined the forum, it looks like a nice place to share electronics projects and doubts about problems, so I'm giving it a shot. I've been doing electronics sporadically, but I'm not very savvy.
    So, to the fun stuff (the issue). I have this Fender speaker that my school counselor gave me because he does not know why it doesn't work and I'm the "school's techie" and he said that I could keep it if I fix it. The problem is that the printed circuit board is broken and, therefore, there is an open circuit. Also, I do not know how to power the speaker or input a signal.
    I uploaded some pictures of the driver and the circuit. What I'm thinking of doing is to solder a bridge between the two pairs of electrodes that I highlighted in the PCB image to solve the broken PCB problem. Now, I do not know how to power the speaker: I'm assuming its through the black jack that I took the picture of, because in the circuit board, the wires coming from the jack are labeled IN+ and IN-, but I do not know if this INs are for power or audio signal (maybe the audio source also has to provide the power through the same wire, although I would be just guessing here...). Also, there are two output wires labeled HF+ and HF- and also LF+ and LF-, I'm guessing they stand for High Frequency and Low Frequency, respectively. I do not know what the difference is, since the user is the one supposed to modulate the frequency through the input device and, therefore, High frequency and Low frequency wires make no sense to me; the ones connected to the driver are the LFs. The connector in which the HF and LF wires fit has two ports per pole ( + and -). Does this mean that I'm supposed to connect both the positive ends of both the HF and LF wires in the positive electrode of the driver at the same time? The same goes for the negative electrode. This makes no sense to me, but why else would you have two ports per pole? (Look at the pictures for reference).
    Please, shed some light on me. If you can answer all or some of my questions, that would be awesome. Also, if I have to buy a jack for the audio source and power source just let me know, I really want to use this monster! Many thanks in advance for any help that you can provide me. Have a nice *insert time of the day*!

Technical Data:
    Resistor rated at 25W, 3.6Ohm*J.
    Capacitor next to LF wires is 82microFarads.
    Capacitor nest to HF wires is 3.3microFarads.
    Coil is 1.0miliHenries

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi Alex

welcome to the forums :)

Did you notice you missed one more pcb patch you need to do ?
    the track closest to the central hole... it also passes through that white damaged area

this board /components is just a crossover network ... that is it separates the bass from the treble frequencies and feed them to the respective speakers .... those blue wires from the HF terminals go to the treble speaker

the +in and -in wires go to the speaker terminals on your amplifier

Dave

3. alexbazzi

alexbazzi

May 30, 2013
    Hey davenn, thanks for replying.
    Yeap, you're right. Totally forgot that patch! That explanation about the treble and bass makes total sense. By the way, since I do not own an amplifier or plan on owning one, is there a way that I could use the speaker just as an output for my computer or other audio playing device by adapting a 3.5mm audio jack to the IN terminals? Even if this works, I think there is still a problem: power.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
Ask a Question