Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Faulty Laptop Charger - 0.7mm

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
Hi Guys,

I'm having issues with my laptop charger. Its a problem with the dc plug, which has an internal diameter of 0.7mm and external diameter of 2.5mm. When plugged into the laptop, it feels really lose. When you put slight pressure on it, it starts charging like normal.

I've tried replacing the male dc plug on the charger, but it feels lose still. I've had this problem before with 0.7mm dc plugs, with an ipad and tablet.

Is this a problem with the female end of the plug? If so what can I do to fix it, I cant take the laptop apart because its sealed well.

Thanks,
Ash

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I have a similar issue with a laptop that's been gifted to me. I took it apart and carefully examined the input connector but it seemed fine. My conclusion was that it was the plug.

An additional issue in my case is that I'm not certain that the adapter is for the laptop, so it may be the wrong plug.

JT_3k

Nov 5, 2014
Replace the power connector on the motherboard of the laptop. This can be desoldered and replaced like any other component but it's possible. Deconstruction of a laptop is not as scary as you'd think and there are guides online to help teardown. Just be careful to keep the right screws in the right places. I like to take a sheet of A4 and draw a laptop outline, then place the screws in their relevant locations on the outline. Give it a shot.

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
Thanks for your reply guys, it's the original charger. I'm sure it's the right size plug. The fault is definitely the female receiving end.

I've looked at the laptop and know how to take it apart carefully. However, I'm worried about soldering a new female plug. I'm scared the trace will lift if I do it wrong.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Lifting the trace is likely to happen when you remove the old one. Do you have a hot air soldering tool? These are much better for removing surface mount components.

Bob

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
Yeah those hot air soldering tools are fantastic for miniscule soldering like this. Sadly I don't have one. To fix an expensive laptop however, I might consider buying one.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The sockets I've looked at are through hole, albeit with surface mount nearby.

For those, a tool like this would be better.

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
Thanks Steve! I'll open it up and see what I have to work with. Will be a few days because I have uni tomorrow.

I'll get back to you on this =)