Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Faulty 9VDC Power Supplies

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
This "coil" is an EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) line input filter.
It is used to filter out(with the surrounding caps) the noise created by the SMPS(Switch Mode Power Supply) from reaching the line.

The "coils" have different configurations and specific values,you need to know the manufacture and part number to get an exact replacement.

The "coil" from the other SMPS may work.
The minimum requirement is same diameter wires.

But!
A failure of the "coil" needs further investigation since most likely it is a cause ofover current in the SMPS (unless it is a mechanical failure like creak or broken leg etc.)

So,
What is the coil's failure in your case?
Was the fuse intact?

Lastly,
Here is a catalog of line filters from Murata .
You can see various configurations an ratings.

partyanimallighting

Oct 22, 2012
Hi dorke, based on the pictures I posted, I believe the legs for the filter cracked and one or more of the wire leads broke. The fuse was also intact. The original filter has a part number, UU9.8-H122NP, but the filter from the other power supply is unmarked. I've done an online search but can't find the exact part number and can't tell the values. Any ideas? Should I try the filter from the other power supply, which is rated at 24VDC, compared to this power supply, which is rated at 9VDC.

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
You can try and fix the broken coil with glue and solder the broken leg.
It should work fine if the coil isn't burned.

What is the current of the 9V and the 24v?
It is the wattage that meters in regard to the coil and it's configuration.
Can you ohm test the coils?

partyanimallighting

Oct 22, 2012
Hi dorke, I think trying to fix the broken legs will be too difficult and trying to resolder those thin coil wires (even with a 10X magnifying glass and a pair of eagle eyes) will be a pain in the ..... . How can I check the wattage at the coils? I can ohm test, just need to know from which leg to which. I already pulled the coil from the 24VDC PS and it lines up with the holes on the 9VDC PS so, if it can work, at least I know it'll fit.

2017.09.26 Damaged Coil.jpg

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Hi dorke, I think trying to fix the broken legs will be too difficult and trying to resolder those thin coil wires (even with a 10X magnifying glass and a pair of eagle eyes) will be a pain in the ..... . How can I check the wattage at the coils? I can ohm test, just need to know from which leg to which. I already pulled the coil from the 24VDC PS and it lines up with the holes on the 9VDC PS so, if it can work, at least I know it'll fit.

View attachment 36469

I meant the current of the 9V and the current of the 24V.
If you know the currents you now the wattage W=v*I .