Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Fast blinking LED photocell?

rruser

Apr 29, 2013
Hello, i'm new here. I was hoping someone could help me start a odd project..

Short story: Passively pickup if a LED is blinking using the light it gives off and make it so I can make another 12v device blink.

Long story: I have a launch controller box (RPM limiter) on my custom ATV. The top of the controller box has a LED that blinks when the box is doing its job. The blinking is really quick, Maybe like 2 or 4 blinks a second. The inside of this controller box is fully sealed in rubber/plastic. No way to get to the PCB or anything. I have a ultra bright 12v LED strip under my headlight (Think Audi). I would like to make that LED strip blink whenever the box's LED blinks. I would also like an option to reverse the state. For example, "box LED on = headlight LEDs off" OR "box LED on = headlight LEDs on"

Thanks a bunch.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you can fashion something to fit over the led and contain a phototransitor or similar component, the rest is just electronics design.

If you want to detect this from a distance, then you're going to have a number of very interesting challenges.

Is the former an option?

rruser

Apr 29, 2013
If you can fashion something to fit over the led and contain a phototransitor or similar component, the rest is just electronics design.

If you want to detect this from a distance, then you're going to have a number of very interesting challenges.

Is the former an option?

Yes, it would be right on top of the LED. My plan was to use some rubber so the sensor would be sealed right on top of the LED.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
This circuit it based on a total LED current of 100mA. It may have to be modified if your current is high. Please post the current that your LED string draws. S1 is a DPDT switch to invert the logic as you requested.

Chris

Attachments

• PhotTranLedDvr.JPG
    PhotTranLedDvr.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 139