Connect with us

Fans too noisy in power supply

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by davidkien68, Jan 9, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. davidkien68

davidkien68

Dec 26, 2014
    Hey all!

again, i decided to ask before i do anything stupid and burn anything (yet, but you get the idea)
    i have this programmable psu 36v/30A if i remember it correctly that has too noisy fans to my liking....
    it has total of six fans:
    front:40*40*10mm
    ADDA AD4512HB-G70
    12v/0.08A
    8.67cfm/14.73 m3/hr
    27.4db

back 60*60*25mm
    delta AFB0612VH
    12v/0.3A
    30.5cfm/51.8 m3/hr
    42.5db

so, basicly the noise is coming from those back fans, but the question is, is it wise to change them to less-noisier? i have only experience about noctua and corsair brand, as they mostly are what they spec for, but noctua's ones are about half as powerful airflow vise

Advice is greatly appreciated! surely you understand it's hard to concecntrate in noisy environment....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
  2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Fans are there for a reason, to move large amounts of air for cooling.
    If too noisy for you then only solution is to move it further away from you.
    It can be annoying I know, as i have a pc (inherited) with a rather large video card and a real mother of a fan that howls but I just became used to it.

Arouse1973 likes this.
  3. electronicsbeliever.com

electronicsbeliever.com

Jan 11, 2015
    yes you can change to a less noisy fan as long as the new fan can give the same air volume than the old fan. If not, the power devices will heat up and the OTP of the PSU will be triggered. If the OTP circuit is working properly the PSU will not damaged and turns on again when the heat level decreases. Worst case if the OTP fails, the PSU will damaged.

4. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    As noted in the other posts, it's ok to replace the fan (which would assumedly be quieter), AS LONG as the replacement fan meets the airflow spec of the fan it's replacing.
    Circuits are engineered for a minimum amount of cooling and spec'd for mimimum fan airflow requirements.
    That requirement is the mimimum 8.67cfm (cubic feet per minute)/14.73m3/hr (cubic meters per hour). On the front fan. Same applies to the specs on the back fan.

Ask a Question