Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Fan subsitute Watt rating

pepi

Sep 20, 2017
Hello all,

I have small blower for an external hard drive..... crapped out.
pn#
GB1205PHV3-8AY
The spec 12DC==0.5W.

The question i can locate a 12v blower however the W range found are 1.0 - 2.5. same foot print.
My question is will a higher W produce stress other circuit components on the PCB.
or suggest a source to find same, checked ebay, digi tech; 300 min, and 6 month lead time ....LOL

Thanks in advance & regards,
Pep

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hello Pep, seems that https://www.newegg.com/p/1DR-002T-00463 have them in stock via Asia!!.
I have never used newegg so can't vouch for them.
Using a higher wattage fan may well put stress on the circuit. It would ultimately be down to what your circuit can deliver.
By staying with the same specs, you know it will not harm your circuit.
EDIT: Seems really expensive!

Martin

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
What external HDD case is this in? Single HDD? A single HDD does not need much airflow, some enclosures are passively cooled. I wonder if you can just mount a far more common axial fan instead, even if it requires drilling new mounting holes or modifying the case, presuming the warranty has expired on the product (or else get it replaced under warranty).

This type of fan tends to get quite noisy at higher RPMs, I would not want a 1W or higher version of it, plus with the higher RPM it will wear out that much faster. You can "probably" greatly extend the lifespan of such sleeve bearing fans by periodically lubing them with a drop of light weight oil, provided they have a rubber bung seal instead of the newer design some fans have which has no access to the bearing/bushing.

You could trace the circuit to determine if there are any power limitations. Is it always on at constant speed or does speed vary with temperature or it shuts off when the HDD goes into sleep mode? You can compare the current spec of the PSU, subtract the current spec of the HDD, and see how much current reserve there is, though running the PSU at higher current will wear it out faster too, particularly if a typical sealed AC/DC plastic brick.

That is a basic two wire brushless fan, with a starting voltage of 8V (see linked datasheet below). You could "probably" get the higher power version and merely put some silicon diodes in series to drop voltage or a 2W, few dozen ohms resistor in series to limit current and thus power and RPM.

https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Sunon PDFs/GB1205PHV3-8AY.GN.pdf

Here is one alternative I see with a 0.72W rating, and ball bearing so may be longer lasting, but more importantly, much lower cost than the listings for the Sunon, without being the generic junk I saw at higher wattage on Amazon. With any of them you may have to solder the correct connector on:

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/bm5115-04w-b30-l00/minebeamitsumi-inc

If you do a google search for that NMB fan model # you will find it at several merchants including Amazon (3rd party seller):

https://www.google.com/search?q=BM5115-04W-B30-L00

https://www.amazon.com/NMB-TECHNOLOGIES-BM5115-04W-B30-L00-Blower-15MM/dp/B00DRDTAMQ

I leave it to you to determine if the above suggestion is dimensionally identical, it is a somewhat standard size but an alteration of the case or different mounting screws might be needed.

Last edited:

pepi

Sep 20, 2017
Thank you both very much; @ Martin, I'm thinking newegg will have that fan for a long, long time LOL
Dave9
Thanks for all the information, and your time spent. Bookmarked the links and will take a close look. The external drive has the same form factor as the intel Mac mini, 2tb seagate, 5k spindle speed. Used as a system back up, so it's mostly in stand by, it may very well do fine with passive cooling. Drive environment is wide open.

Pep

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I'm thinking newegg will have that fan for a long, long time LOL
I certainly hope so. These fans are pennies.
I think the 'Turbo' plastic mould (mold) for across the pond, as already stated by @dave9 is easily hackable.
The 'Turbo' housing is just that!.
I remember repairing a Compaq laptop, possibly a RE9000? Not sure. But any way, the fan was a simple, normal computer fan inside a plastic 'Turbo' shroud. A replacement OEM was £79.99. I super glued the same fan in the original shroud for £12.99.
Then learnt about Ebay. That same fan was £3.99. Go figure.

Martin

pepi

Sep 20, 2017
Martin
Computer replacement hardware is a bit ridiculous with the range of prices found.

Pep

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Which is why a simple hack is necessary sometimes. Your 'Turbo' can easily fit another fan.
If you are anal, think about the CFM etc. If not, go for an ebay £3.99 fan.