Connect with us

Fan Magnets

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Raven Luni, Feb 27, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Greetings,

I took apart a PC fan and found that the permanent magnet ring was really pretty pathetic. If I replaced this with neodynium magnets would it have an adverse effect on the coils or any other part of the circuit? Its basically a brushless motor controlled by a 'ftc s276' (a 4 pin component that apparently uses a hall effect sensor - most versions of the datasheet wont load properly)

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    depends on the location, as long as its not too close to the hard drive (spinning disc) it should be fine, I havent done any direct replacements like that, but I have hear of it before

3. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    Before replacing the pathetic magnet ring, check its poles locations, by passing a sewing needle all around it. (or iron filings) You may be surprised of the poles pattern; which you will hardly duplicate by hand with neodymium magnets.

4. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Already done that - 4 poles (NSNS), easy to duplicate I'd say :)

5. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    And the fan runs better, worse or the same ?

Ask a Question