Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Fake Fluxes?

Zapper

Sep 28, 2015
Hello
I am relatively new to fine soldering on circuit boards. Always only ever used rosin core leaded solder for small jobs but now I want to try using separate fluxes for general work with standard leaded solder.

I was considering buying Kingbo RMA-218 on ebay then guys on other forums said 'watch out for the fakes' and advised on how to identify them. Others said, 'there is no such thing as fake Kingbo because there is no such thing as 'original' Kingbo. They are all fakes.'

I can't find a company that actually makes the stuff. It says Japan on the label. Where? I can't find them. The claim is; 'It's cheap stuff made somewhere in china with no accountability', but lots of people seem to love it anyway.

I find the same warnings with other brands like Amtech "watch out for the fakes"

In Australia, electronic shops don't seem to carry fluxes on the shelf any more. Buying from RS or Farnell is too confusing and expensive for me . All I want is a jar of RMA flux, just for general circuit stuff. How hard can it be?

Could you recommend something real and legitimate?

Seems the only original thing left these days is death!

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Zapper,
The trick is to buy from a legitimate and trusted seller like Digikey ,Mouser etc.
Buying on Ebay spells trouble and fakes.

In the soldering world materials the name Kester is the one you are after.
It will not be cheap but will be worth any penny... and pain;)