Connect with us

Failure due to condensation

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Vignesh Devadas, May 23, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Vignesh Devadas

Vignesh Devadas

May 23, 2018
    Hello Everyone,

I have a doubt regarding failure due to condensation effect.

The product has a metal cover which is crimped with other parts for protection. So it is not fully sealed.
    But the PCB is Conformal coated.

Now is condensation a problem.?
    If yes. How to protect the electronic product from condensation during transit.?

Is there special packaging material or should we use silica something like that?

Thank you for your inputs.

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

hard to know ?
    some photos of the unit showing possible corrosion etc due to condensation would help :)

3. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    These should be in the 'homework' section.....

Silica gel is the usual transportation additive. Packed in a temperature controlled atmosphere and into a well sealed box they wouldn't suffer anything the silica gel couldn't cope with.

4. Vignesh Devadas

Vignesh Devadas

May 23, 2018
    I think they are packed in plastic trays and loaded in small plastic boxes and on top comes a plastic lid. But i don't think they will be transported in a temperature controlled containers as they are not cheap to do so.
    Do you have any suggestion for economical packaging which will prevent the condensation ?

Thank you for you reply.

5. Vignesh Devadas

Vignesh Devadas

May 23, 2018
    the product is under development and we haven't got this problem yet. But during the failure analysis, this failure came up. So i'm trying to find a solution to prevent it.

6. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    How do other manufacturers ship their parts? I don't know (personally) of any issues that 'normal' packaging combined with silica gel packs can't cope with.

You could use temperature-controlled packaging; you could pack them using 'modified atmosphere' packaging machines (usually used for food products); you could vacuum pack them.....

7. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Yeah. I suppose cost is the factor here. Humidity items I buy come in the silver, vacuum-sealed bags (these type are specifically for humidity protection, not the typical black-silver ESD bags). The bags physically look like aluminum foil.
    I guess I'd ask if you want each device individually protected, or if you can go the route of condensation protection for a case of them?
    If the device is expensive, I'd get the best protection I could, if not that expensive the silica gel is most often used.
    If this was mine, to ensure protection from condensation, I'd vacuum seal the device in an appropriate bag.
    As a side, WHY did failure analysis point to condensation as a potential issue with the device?
    Are the shipments going through high humidity climates, or widely disparate temperature fluctuations during transit, or at the final destination?

8. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    That's the first question you need to answer. And we probably can't do it for you.

Ask a Question