Connect with us

Failed the "Smoke Test"

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by davenn, Apr 27, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    just for fun.....

A 240 W audio amp came into the workshop. It was dead. Found the 20A DC fuse blown. Took the lid of a quick check showed nothing obvious So I hit the power switch and was greeted with lots of sizzling and crackling and a cloud of smoke.

Now knowing this brand of amp very well I knew it wasnt going to be worth repairing as they generally only last a month or so before failing again.
    I thought to myself, I really have to get a pic of a bit of gear smoking and this unit was one of the best ever seen hahaha
    the 3rd pic shows one of the rows of power transistors with one transistor totally bar-b-qued and several others cracked
    the fun of electronics servicing
    cheers
    Dave

Attached Files:

2. MattyMatt

MattyMatt

Mar 24, 2011
    I gotta say, that is an impressive bit of "magic smoke" (as I like to call it) !
    I've never seen quite the quality and quantity :)

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    uh huh seriously impressive ;)
    proves beyond a shadow of a doubt circuits run on smoke, NOT electrons, all these poor deluded technicians hahahaha ;)

Dave

Ask a Question