Connect with us

External Thermometer for Dry Iron

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Ruvort, Aug 30, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Ruvort

Ruvort

Aug 30, 2015
    Hello all,

I am new to the forum and joined to ask some advice or possible solutions from the members here. I have a few vintage dry irons (used for the bespoke tailoring trade) that I am looking to put together an external control for their temperature. Most of these type of irons were made without a temperature switch and heat up indefinitely, which can be very hazardous and make it tough to keep the iron at the correct temperature.

I am curious if anyone here may know a pre-made product that suits my needs or could guide me to making such a project.

Thank you

2. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Welcome to EP!
    Ideally you would have a temperature senor inside the iron, in thermal contact with the sole-plate, and run cabling to the eternal control. That probably isn't feasible, so IMO the answer is to use either a contactless method involving an infra-red thermometer, or having a temp sensor mounted in a platform on which the iron rests when not actually ironing.

3. Ruvort

Ruvort

Aug 30, 2015
    Thank you for your welcome and thoughts on the matter :)

Would wiring up a "dimmer switch" cord for plugging the iron into be a feasible option to control the flow of electricity to the iron? I would them probably use a laser thermometer to ensure I get it to the desired temp.

4. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    A dimmer switch would work if it were capable of providing the current that the iron requires.

A diode in series with the supply will halve the power and diodes of sufficient capability are easy to obtain. The diode could be switched either manually or when the iron is lifted from its stand to give full power when in use. This trick is sometimes used for soldering irons.

5. Ruvort

Ruvort

Aug 30, 2015
    Good to know. Are any of these type of projects for soldering irons documented on these forums?

I have some experience with electrical wiring from working with my grandfather, but it is limited to home wiring and this will be my first time working on this type of project.

Ask a Question