Maker Pro
Maker Pro

External battery configuration for laptop...

blixt139

Jan 16, 2013
Some time ago a guy showed me 12V small car type batteries in the electronics shop and told me that I can run my laptop with two of them wired in series and the laptop can have significantly more power hours then with its laptop battery.

Can I really do this, what kind of batteries should I get exactly and do I need inverter unit?

Adapter of the laptop writings:

Input: 100-240v AC~1.5A 50/60 Hz
Output: 18.5V DC 4.9A

The network in my country is European standard - 220 V, 50 Hz

mikey5791

Jun 7, 2013
External battery configuration for laptop

Hi blixt139,

By connecting two 12V small car type batteries (say 12V 7Ah capacity) wired in series will get you total 24V at 7Ah same capacity rating. You need to be careful as the total voltage now is at 24V which is slightly higher than your laptop adapter output rating of 18.5V DC; obviously the laptop can have significantly more power hours than with its original laptop battery.
But I am not so sure if your laptop able to take in this higher voltage without getting burn/ power surge as you mentioned your Adapter of the laptop writings:

Input: 100-240v AC~1.5A 50/60 Hz
Output: 18.5V DC 4.9A

However, if you connect two 12V small car type batteries (say 12V 7Ah capacity) wired in parallel will only get you total 12V at 14Ah double capacity rating. But 12V DC may not be enough power to boot your laptop; correct me if I am wrong.

BTW, maybe you can check your battery capacity and other description (like Model No.& ? V DC & MAh rating) and don't mind tell us more spec.

I am sure with some pictures shown, some other member will be able to input their ideas as well.