Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Explain me how to make an "Electromagnet Solenoid" more powerfull

swatti

Dec 25, 2015
I bought something like this off Ebay:

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1S5xy...ont-2A-Pull-Type-Linear-font-b-Solenoid-b.jpg

Turns out it wasnt as powerfull as i need it to be but it has the right amount of travel and is nearly perfect in size...

Notice that the body where the coils are is fairly short. What if i made my own? But MUCH longer body, (theres plenty of room in my aplication LENGTH-wise) will it get more powerfull? Can i make it more powerfull by adding more coil?

Turns out i have plenty of coil like the one used in my solenoid, i have plastic pipe similar size and i can CNC the central "plunger" rather easy as well. Or make it different shape etc...

Im using a 11.1V lipo battery, something you can find in RC-cars. Increasing voltage/amps IS NOT AN OPTION.

So, in simplicity, if i make a solenoid like mine, but longer, can it pull greater load than the original or do i need to do something else as well?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I bought something like this off Ebay:

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1S5xy...ont-2A-Pull-Type-Linear-font-b-Solenoid-b.jpg

Turns out it wasnt as powerfull as i need it to be but it has the right amount of travel and is nearly perfect in size...

Notice that the body where the coils are is fairly short. What if i made my own? But MUCH longer body, (theres plenty of room in my aplication LENGTH-wise) will it get more powerfull? Can i make it more powerfull by adding more coil?

Turns out i have plenty of coil like the one used in my solenoid, i have plastic pipe similar size and i can CNC the central "plunger" rather easy as well. Or make it different shape etc...

Im using a 11.1V lipo battery, something you can find in RC-cars. Increasing voltage/amps IS NOT AN OPTION.

So, in simplicity, if i make a solenoid like mine, but longer, can it pull greater load than the original or do i need to do something else as well?
Well... is the current metal post in there merely a metal post? You can put a little magnet on the end. Should make it stronger. The interaction will be between the magnetic field of the coil and the magnet instead of simply making an electro magnet attract a little piece of metal.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
A longer core would enable you to wind on extra turns. Magnetic field / pull is proportional to the product of current and number of turns so, if you keep the current the same the extra turns would help.

Mark Van Skiver

Feb 22, 2016
Don't forget voltage drop the longer the conducted coil the more resistance so you'll see increase in power consumption.
This case after looking at your link I'd go mechanical & change spring tension for faster/stronger pull, just have to make sure spring has enough torque to reset.