Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Exceeding rated current for power input connector

Rusty_Shackleford

Aug 18, 2021
Hello, I'm looking for a suitable panel mounted barrel connector jack which I can use for a project I'm working on. I want something like this: Amazon.com: E-outstanding 5-Pack DC-099 5.5 mm x 2.5mm 30V 10A DC Power Jack Socket,Threaded Female Panel Mount Connector Adapter : Electronics. The issue is that I'm using a 20A power supply, and all of the connector jacks that I'm finding are rated for 10A or lower. My question is what would happen if I use a power input jack that is rated for only 10A, would this cause a failure of some sort if I exceed the current rating by a significant amount? This is the only point in the circuit where the current rating would be exceeded.

If using a jack such as this one is not a viable solution, does anyone know where I could find a similar component which can handle 20A?

crutschow

May 7, 2021
what would happen if I use a power input jack that is rated for only 10A, would this cause a failure of some sort if I exceed the current rating by a significant amount?
Using a 10A connector at 20A could result in overheating of the connector and possible failure
Also the voltage drop at 20A may be more than you would want.

Rusty_Shackleford

Aug 18, 2021
Using a 10A connector at 20A could result in overheating of the connector and possible failure
Also the voltage drop at 20A may be more than you would want.

Hello,

Exceding the power connectors rating might cause heating and possible fire.

If you want some decent connectors, have a look at the powerpole connectors from anderson:
https://www.andersonpower.com/us/en/resources/PowerPoleResourcesPage.html

Bertus
Thank you for the replies. I checked out the link that Bertus provided, but I don't think I see what I need in their product line. I need a barrel connector for a 2.50mm male jack (from power supply) that I can easily mount on a panel, something that resembles the component in the link from my original post. Does anyone know where I can find a component like this which would be rated for at least 20A?

VenomBallistics

Aug 30, 2018
Thank you for the replies. I checked out the link that Bertus provided, but I don't think I see what I need in their product line. I need a barrel connector for a 2.50mm male jack (from power supply) that I can easily mount on a panel, something that resembles the component in the link from my original post. Does anyone know where I can find a component like this which would be rated for at least 20A?
By nature ... No.
If you can't find it, it's not there.
But, we are only looking at half of the problem here.
You have a supply that will provide 20A ...
You have not addressed what the load it will power will consume, which may be 10A or less.
If this is the case, add fuses as needed per connector and rock on.
If not, you will need to deviate from your intended design to facilitate the demands

Rusty_Shackleford

Aug 18, 2021
By nature ... No.
If you can't find it, it's not there.
But, we are only looking at half of the problem here.
You have a supply that will provide 20A ...
You have not addressed what the load it will power will consume, which may be 10A or less.
If this is the case, add fuses as needed per connector and rock on.
If not, you will need to deviate from your intended design to facilitate the demands
The load will be approximately 11.5A (at 12V). I sourced a 20A power adapter so that I could supply additional current if necessary (I was told that I should multiply the required amperage by 1.5 to determine the current output of the power supply). Perhaps I don't need that much "extra" amperage above the stated current requirements of the components. Does anyone have insight on this?

Hello,

The highest current rating for barrel connectors I could find is 11 Amps:
https://www.switchcraft.com/category.aspx?Parent=943

You could replace the barrel connector with two 4 mm banana sockets:
https://www.twinschip.com/Female-Banana-Jack-For-4mm-Plug-2-Colors-Red_Black
The banana sockets are rated for about 30 Amps.

As long as the load is below 10 Amps, you are safe.

Bertus
I could go with banana sockets, although then I would have to modify the power adapter to fit that connection style. It's not unfeasible, but I would prefer to use a single barrel plug if possible. I will consider this option going forward.

Thank you for the replies.

Last edited:

Rusty_Shackleford

Aug 18, 2021

crutschow

May 7, 2021
Since all the available 5.5x2.5mm sockets are rated at no more than 11A, I suspect that the plug the power adapter manufacturer used is overrated at that current.
It's likely also rated for no more than 10-11A, but the manufacturer used it since it was a cheap, common DC power plug. and they are some Asian supplier that doesn't care that it is a deficient design.
So your choice seems to be to use a 10A socket and hope for the best (if your load indeed will be more than 10A), or change the supply to a higher rated plug.

Rusty_Shackleford

Aug 18, 2021
Since all the available 5.5x2.5mm sockets are rated at no more than 11A, I suspect that the plug the power adapter manufacturer used is overrated at that current.
It's likely also rated for no more than 10-11A, but the manufacturer used it since it was a cheap, common DC power plug. and they are some Asian supplier that doesn't care that it is a deficient design.
So your choice seems to be to use a 10A socket and hope for the best (if your load indeed will be more than 10A), or change the supply to a higher rated plug.
Thank you, I think you may be right about that power adapter.
I see that one of my earlier messages did not post yet (still awaiting moderator approval for some reason), so I will repost the info here. In that message, I explained that my load is greater than 10A. The current required by the components is between 10.1 - 11.5A (depending on which components I use). However, I was told by a colleague (not an electrical engineer, but an engineer technician) that I should choose a power supply that can provide 1.5x the sum of current required by all components, which would put me in the range of 15.15 - 17.25A. It is very possible that he was wrong about needing the additional amperage above the listed requirements of the components. Can anyone here let me know if I got bad advice from my colleague regarding the power supply amperage, or explain why their advice was sound?

VenomBallistics

Aug 30, 2018
I'd call it sound advice.
The load determines how much current will be used, it's up to the supply to have enough to keep up with that demand.
Headroom is a good thing.
The only issue that remains is the choice of connector ... You're in a range where you are flirting with issues best avoided, though all else meets requirements

Rusty_Shackleford

Aug 18, 2021
I'd call it sound advice.
The load determines how much current will be used, it's up to the supply to have enough to keep up with that demand.
Headroom is a good thing.
The only issue that remains is the choice of connector ... You're in a range where you are flirting with issues best avoided, though all else meets requirements
I think that Bertus's suggestion to use banana plugs may be the best bet, I could use the power adapter I linked above and modify the output connector.
Quick question though, what exactly do you mean when you said that I'm "in a range where [I'm] flirting with issues best avoided"?

crutschow

May 7, 2021
If your maximum is 11.5A then I think it would be safe to use one of the 11A sockets that bertus suggested, although the socket may get a little warm in use.
If you use no smaller than 14 gauge wire from the socket to your circuit, you should be okay.

VenomBallistics

Aug 30, 2018
I think that Bertus's suggestion to use banana plugs may be the best bet, I could use the power adapter I linked above and modify the output connector.
Quick question though, what exactly do you mean when you said that I'm "in a range where [I'm] flirting with issues best avoided"?
the barrel plug/socket would be the weak link in the system. The banana plug option would side step this issue, as would Anderson Power Pole or XT30 or the more common XT60.

While arguably the most boring segment of electronics, power supplies are the most important part of the whole show.
Whatever wizzbang contraption we might engineer with far greater passion, will ultimately just manipulate this power in some way.
Thus, the lowly power supply should be approached with due diligence and completeness.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Your colleague is correct about having headroom. You shouldn't run components at 100%, more like 75%.
Just remember that the power supply can supply up to Max 20A and your load will only use what it needs.
Have you actually measured the load current?

Martin

Rusty_Shackleford

Aug 18, 2021
Your colleague is correct about having headroom. You shouldn't run components at 100%, more like 75%.
Just remember that the power supply can supply up to Max 20A and your load will only use what it needs.
Have you actually measured the load current?

Martin
No I have not actually measured the load current, that is a good idea, I've been assuming that the listed amperage draw for each component is accurate. I will take some measurements when I get a chance.

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
Barrel jacks don’t have enough surface area on the pin to support this current. since it is >2A they are not gold plated and will slowly oxidize until hot then melt the plastic. Consider twinning pins on PC MOLEX plugs for HDD’s as a cheap bare minimum solution.