Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Exactly what component is this?

oxidized

Dec 24, 2015
Hello everyone, i'm new here. So i'm trying to fix this PC PSU of mine, and found out at least 2 mosfets and few other components (i hope) are dead, in particular, i found this:

yedaPPz.jpg

K7k0EfE.jpg

now, in the beginning while on the board it had a heat shrink tubing all over, and i thought it was a normal resistor, but after removing the blown/burnt tubing i found out this weird colour combination. I looked everywhere for similar things, couldn't find a thing, no axial resistor or inductor has such aspect, and since it's visually destroyed, i need to change it together with a 35N60C3 and a 47N60C3. Another thing i noticed is: the ends of this mysterious component are connected directly into the sources of 2/4 of the mosfets (2x 35N60C3; 2x 47N60C3), and i honestly don't remember if those 2 were the faulty ones.

tl;dr: What in the world is this component here?

Thanks in advance

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Appears to be an inductor, if it is shot, try removing some of the covering and see if it exposes a wire coil or ?
M.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
You can see its wire wound, but thought it was a resistor.
The third color (green) does not seem to correspond with an inductor color code.?

oxidized

Dec 24, 2015
Thank you guys for answering, i was stupid enough to not check markings on the board it says indeed "R136" so it's a resistor after all, iirc (since i don't have it anymore, lost somewhere) when trying to check it with the meter, it gave something like very high value, far beyond the actual value, probably approaching infinite or something, so pretty sure it was damaged

c98hrDm.jpg

this is what looks from the bottom

ekUxOr0.jpg

there was a huge burn damage which i cleaned out, and nothing but that little smd resistor seemed to be involved, unluckily the casing of it was damaged so i'll need to get some schematics or someting to replace it

Anyway, how do you explain that weird colour code, with a silver ring on the middle? also the body colour seems to be pink, not altered (at least seemed to me) if that's what you meant

Last edited:

GPG

Sep 18, 2015
It could be .52Ω 2% The salmon colour used to mean high stability.

oxidized

Dec 24, 2015
could it be a fusible resistor? seen how it exploded, idk, that would explain the heat shrink coating and would also explain why, when i tried to cut it in 2, it was very hard, metal casing...

Last edited:

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
how do you explain that weird colour code, with a silver ring on the middle?

Oh, I thought it was green with silver glare from your camera!
Cut off the shrink wrap on the other resistor and try and compare colors.
Possibly faded from heat?

oxidized

Dec 24, 2015
Oh, I thought it was green with silver glare from your camera!
Cut off the shrink wrap on the other resistor and try and compare colors.
Possibly faded from heat?

It's actually the same one, from the side where it's not burnt, colours are: green red silver red brown

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Funny you say that.
The fusible resistors and surge resistors are all that I could find in "pink"...
No reason for those across mosfets though.
0.012Ω comes up on the calculator. So a real small resistance.
May be some kind of ballast resistor. But I don't know.

Martin

oxidized

Dec 24, 2015
Is there a point putting a heat shrink tubing on a normal resistor? idk, as you said couldn't find anything else with a pink body and such colour code, and that would explain the black coating

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I have absolutely no idea.
I have a large "pink" resistor in my psu covered aswell.. But it's very light (weight) and large, 1" long.
I know the leads often get covered to protect from shorts etc. But the whole thing would surely not help with heat dissipation. May be it doesn't get hot!
Without a schematic, it would be very difficult to know.

Martin

oxidized

Dec 24, 2015
but again, if it's a simple resistor why there's a silver ring on the middle, it's the only thing i can't really explain

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir oxidator . . . . . . . . .the oxidat"ee" here . . . .

MAMMA MIA !. . . . .here's a what cha do . . . .

Scrape a longitudinal strip of the "salmon" overcoating off, to access the prior covered resistance element for ohmmic probing
and then see if either lead to center of the resistor shows ohmmic continuity. If one half passes testing . . . . . .double the measured resistance
for "suspected value" acquisition.
AND if you are not having a correcting meter . .compensating for test lead resistance . . .short the leads for getting that figure and then make compensation
in computing the SUSPECTED resistance value.
By the looks of its heavy anxilliary foil paths, seems like it would be a low ohmmic value.

Thasssit

73's de Edd

Last edited:

oxidized

Dec 24, 2015
LOL
Thanks for the answers but there's a little problemino, i think i threw it in the trash can few days ago (yes, i already proved to be that stupid earlier in the thread :() so that thing is no longer in my possession sadly.

Any other idea???

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Search high and low for a schematic, or devote an entire month to plot out the diagram yourself.
(That's probably how long it would take me anyway.)