Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ex 11 schematic

nyancatvsghosthead

Jan 7, 2012
schematic:

what I did:

I think I have a problem linking the two circuits. Any help would be great. I've been trying to make it work for like a week. Thank you.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK, first and most obvious thing is that it appears your transistors are around back-to-front.

Do your transistors have the same pinout as the ones in the diagrams?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I don't know. Just because they are PUT's that is no reason to put them backwards.

Show me an image of the circuit diagram, tell me the part number for the PUTs they recommend, and tell me what the part number of the component is that you're using.

Give me all three things and I can determine if they are placed correctly or not.

nyancatvsghosthead

Jan 7, 2012
By the circuit diagram, do you mean the schematics?

Part # of PUT: 2n6027

That was the part # I used and the one that was recommended.

Thanks for the help.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK, if you are using the recommended part, I'm pretty sure you should put them in the circuit the right way around.

Do you have any reason to think the connections on your devices are backwards? (This isn't completely impossible, but I wouldn't expect it)

Yeah, I mean the schematics.

nyancatvsghosthead

Jan 7, 2012
Here are the schematics:

It says something reversed in the book. Oh, and I'm thinking of doing 1 and 12, 2 and 13 and so on to stop myself from forgetting. Is that a good idea? Oh, and would you recommend someone teach me how to solder?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
From the datasheet I looked at, your 2N6027's should DEFINITELY be around the other way. It's very hard to see if you've made other wiring errors. However your wiring does look different to the example. Try to follow the example more closely.

Why do you want to learn to solder? Do you want to make some of these circuits permanent?

Do you have a soldering iron and solder yet, or will you need to buy those. If you need to buy them, what sort of budget do you have?

Revision is always a good thing. See if doing the earlier projects again seems easier. If it does then you're learning. If it doesn't, then doing them again might help.

I've asked you a lot of questions. Please try to work through one thing at a time. First turn the 2n6027's around and see it that works, then answer each of the questions I've asked about soldering.

nyancatvsghosthead

Jan 7, 2012
Answers to questions

The book actually says that I'm going to need to learn to solder in the next experiment. I might make some circuits permanent later but I don't think that's what this book has in store for me right now.Yes I have a couple of soldering irons. They are in mint condition.

No, turning them around won't work. I tried it. I also tried remaking the first part of the circuit which doesn't work. Here's what the top half of the circuit looks like when I made it:

I wasn't trying to be irrelevant but I was just wondering if it would mean anything if the top half worked at first but the bottom one didn't. Now, the top half doesn't even work on its own, like the book says its supposed to. It was like that for a few days before I came on asking for advice.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK, if you need to solder for the next experiment, post images of it before you're going to start and we can help you step by step.

For now, let's get this one working...

If the top bit worked for a while and doesn't now, you need to ask yourself what has changed?

Did you accidentally short something out?

Did you connect the power around the wrong way?

Did you use a power supply different to what is recommended?

It is pretty hard to see if you've connected everything correctly. The leads on your resistor look like they're pretty bent up. This makes is easier to accidentally short things out, or even to mis-wire things.

nyancatvsghosthead

Jan 7, 2012
answers to questions and new resistors

I replaced the LED. Can a transistor or a resistor go out? I think a speaker can go out but I never got the bottom part of the circuit working right, so I don't see how that could happen. I'm pretty sure the power is on the right way since I always have the wires attached with the same two, different colored alligator clips, in the same place. I used the same power supply that was recommended, since I use the one the books tells me to for the whole chapter and possibly the whole book. I'll use new resistors and wires tomorrow.

Is it possible for it to be the transistors? If the amplifier went out, would I hear it? I never heard any noise from it.

Could a capacitor short circuit?

Last edited:

nyancatvsghosthead

Jan 7, 2012
new resistors

Okay, so now I've replaced it with a new LED and new resistors. It still doesn't work but I put in less bent up resistors. I know my photos probably aren't any good for anything, but in case they are, here is a photo of the circuit:

Hopefully that helps.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The only 2 things that are likely to fail in that circuit are the LED and the PUT.

You've replaced the LED (and I assume you've tried it both ways around to make sure you didn't put it in backwards) so that only leaves the PUT. DO you have another one?

What are you using as a power supply?

edit: can you verify that you have places a PUT in there and not some other device? Have you checked the part number?

nyancatvsghosthead

Jan 7, 2012
Answers

I'm using a changeable 1.5 to 12 volt power supply. Yes, I have a few PUTS of that part number since I have the kit that comes with the book. It organizes the PUTS, and all parts for that matter by part number. But I will check anyways.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
One problem with a power supply is that it can probably supply a lot more current than (say) a 9V battery and it's relatively easy to destroy a component by mis-wiring things.

Having said that, The PUT could probably suffer even if you used normal batteries.

Double check that all of your resistors are the correct values and then try another PUT.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Oh, and check all the resistors again. In your last picture the resistor on the right is connected to the wrong position. It is connected to the wrong pin of the PUT.

That may be the cause of your problem.

It is connected to H2, and should be connected to H3

nyancatvsghosthead

Jan 7, 2012
Answers

I thought one of the resistors was the wrong value, but it wasn't. I replaced it and it still didn't work. I corrected the problem with the resistor you mentioned.

I think it was the 15K resistor, which should be brown-green-orange. That's R2. I looked at it closely and it appeared green, but I wasn't sure. I replaced it, but it gave the same result. Then, I checked the resistor values with my multimeter and they were all correct. I checked and everything was in the correct place.

Finally, I checked and replaced the PUT twice. It's still won't work.

Could the problem be the breadboard? I also think it may be that I have to replace the power supply.

I think it may be that I should use the one that came in my kit. The problem is, it doesn't look like a regular power supply and I'm not sure if it is to be used for something else. Should I just cut it? Then, I wouldn't have it for whatever else I need to use it for. Any advice?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Post another photo of the breadboard.

The most recent image DOES have a wiring error that will stop the project working.

The photos need to be sharp and take from a few angles if we can't see exactly where *every* lead is plugged in.