Connect with us

Ever seen an outlet like this one? Need right adapter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by mjs182, Sep 29, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. mjs182

mjs182

Sep 29, 2016
    It's in my laundry room for some reason and I cannot find an adapter for the standard US plug that comes with my washing machine. Most websites I've seen that list the "standard" outlets throughout the world do not show this one. Also, nothing at the hardware store matched. Please help! IMG_1913.jpg

Thank you!

2. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    That is a standard 240v socket (old one), you could try any electrical supplier or H.D. may have.
    Or just replace it with a later version.
    M.

3. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    This plug should work with that receptacle, but there is NO 115-120 V AC available from the receptacle you have shown! It will NOT operate your washing machine with its "standard" plug. There are NO "adapters" that will make it work. The receptacle shown is intended to operate an electric clothes dryer, NOT a washing machine. Don't even think about trying to connect your washing machine to the receptacle shown. Bad things will happen.

mjs182, davenn and darren adcock like this.
  4. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    There's a reason that socket was installed. It's to prevent you from accidentally plugging a 120VAC appliance into it.
    Like heavan1944 said, stop contemplating INTENTIONALLY trying to do it.
    This is a good reminder why there are electrical codes.

5. mjs182

mjs182

Sep 29, 2016
    Thank you very much for your quick responses. Here's the receptacle right beneath it. Any suggestions on my next move? Adapter for this outlet, new washer... little lost on this one. IMG_1916.jpg

6. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    Conceivably the outlet in post #5 is for a dryer, the modern ones require both 240 and 120 to operate (neutral).
    If you only have a washing machine that only requires 120 then if you are electrically capable, and the first socket you show has a neutral in the box, you could simply fit a double 120v 15a socket in place, the wiring will undoubtedly be larger than needed so you would need to change the breakers for this socket for 2 single 15amps.
    Local advice may be necessary depending on your level of skill.
    M.

hevans1944 and mjs182 like this.
  7. bigone5500

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
    I believe it's a 20A 220vac outlet.

$4.30 at home depot.

mjs182 likes this.
  8. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Ummm. The receptacle is clearly labeled 30 A. But the little "L"-shaped hole is for the neutral IIRC while the igloo entrance hole at the top is for the "green wire" safety ground. A quick test with some voltmeter probes will reveal what is going on, but if that scares you a qualified electrician could help. It should be fairly easy to install a 115-120 V AC duplex convenience receptacle on the wall behind the washing machine, taking power from the lower box if it contains a white neutral wire. The "hot" wires should be red and black and 10 AWG for 30 A. Use a GFI receptacle in a laundry room.

9. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    Code stipulates a 20amp outlet for the laundry washer.
    Also, the breaker would need to be a single double pole (not two individuals) or use an approved handle tie because they are connected to the same device (duplex outlet)

The reason for this code is to avoid turning off one breaker and think you shut off all power.

hevans1944 likes this.
  10. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    There is probably already a double-pole 30 A breaker installed for the 3-wire dryer receptacle, and it is (hopefully) connected with 10 AWG solid for that current. If the end-user does not want to use this receptacle for an electric clothes dryer, and wants to wire a 20 A duplex outlet for his washer using the existing wiring, the 30 A receptacle would have to be removed and either its box covered or the duplex receptacle mounted in its place and the 30 A double-pole breaker feeding the original 30 A receptacle would have to be replaced with a 20 A double-pole handle-tied breaker, preferably a GFI if the 20 A duplex outlet is not GFI.

IIRC, only one pole of the 120-N-120 V AC feed is allowed to be wired to the 20 A duplex receptacle, even if you were to break the tab between the two halves in an ill-advised attempt to use both poles. IIRC, Code does not allow 220 V AC to be wired to a duplex receptacle. A qualified electrician should perform this work since you cannot "sign off" on my IIRC statements without one.

11. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    It would not be required for a double (linked) breaker if the outlet is converted to 120v as typical for a modern washing machine. Using an individual breaker for each outlet, that is if the cable includes a neutral, if not , it can be done by using say the red for live and the black for neutral by using white electrical tape at each termination and moving the black from the breaker to the neutral bar. And use a single 20a breaker.
    As per NEC/CEC.
    M.

hevans1944 likes this.
  12. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    I disagree. It doesn't mater what voltage it is. This is a multi wire branch circuit.
    If two hots are used and they land on the same device (yoke or strap) you must use a 2p breaker or approved ties.

NEC 210.4(B) says;
    "Disconnecting Means. Each multiwire branch circuit shall be provided with a means that will simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conductors at the point where the branch circuit originates."

Even if this wasn't a multi wire circuit, two individual breakers can't land on the same duplex or it'd be a violation of 210.7

13. bigone5500

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
    I was posting about the first photo.

14. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    Screenshot_2016-09-30-17-31-03-1.png To be clear, a single 20a breaker could be used to feed the existing wiring and then pigtail the receptacle with 12awg to it. But you can't use two individual breakers on one duplex.
    Also should be noted this 20a outlet must only serve the washer.

Ask a Question