Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Evaporative Air Con PCB

Chrisk_81

Feb 7, 2015
Hi Guys,

This is my first post, I was hoping someone might know the answer to following question.

What would be the purpose of a 222 ceramic capacitor parallel between line and earth on the supply side of a 240v to 24v AC transformer?

It was shorted on my dads evaporative air con PCB and took out the fuse. I've been unable to source a replacement as yet so I desoldered it, replaced the fuse and it is now running.

I would just like to know the function of this cap so I can decide if it's crucial to replace.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
It's there to suppress the arc on the motor relay contacts. Without it the relay contacts will fail prematurely. The value seems low to me. Can you post a picture of the component?

Chrisk_81

Feb 7, 2015
It's there to suppress the arc on the motor relay contacts. Without it the relay contacts will fail prematurely. The value seems low to me. Can you post a picture of the component?

Aren't you referring to a suppression diode?

As stated and as can be seen in the pic, the cap is not connected to any relays.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 103

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Probably for a bit of filtering / noise suppression. This should be a Y-Rated capacitor if the appliance has an earthed metal case. Ceramic types tend to go short circuit when they fail which is why the fuse popped. Take a close picture of the capacitor, we might be able to find one for you.
Adam

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Aren't you referring to a suppression diode?

As stated and as can be seen in the pic, the cap is not connected to any relays.
What, you expect me to read ALL of the words in your post!? :oops:

The capacitor is nearly invisible in your picture.