Maker Pro
Maker Pro

esr meter mk-2

marius

Jan 22, 2013
hello there i think i am another victim of this famous esr meter made by bob parker witch realy dissapointed me,that i can not find the hex file to program the zilog chip i have wasted so much time to try to find the hex file.If anybody have any ideea how to help me with this issue I WOULD REALY APPRECIATE.

THANKYOU

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There are many designs -- I have one that originated with one of his designs that I bought as a kit (with a pre-programmed PIC).

Yours has a zilog chip?

At the very least we'll need to know which design because it is almost 100% certain that each design uses its own program.

marius

Jan 22, 2013
Yes I have the ZILOG chip z86e0412psg1866 and the design is actually dick smith.I wanted to build it my self .

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yep, that's the same one I have.

I'll have to check the chip. I could swear it was a PIC.

If it is, I believe Silicon Chip magazine will have the code to download from their web site as that circuit was published by them.

It's now about 6 hours since I started writing this message and I didn't have a chance to go out to open up my ESR meter to check. Maybe later...

Last edited:

marius

Jan 22, 2013
I did send the silicon chip a big email about this and I did check on the website that they have a lot of hex files for many of this pic chips.No rush mate I apreciate your help and i'm looking forward to hear from you.You just made my day I can't wait to see my meter alive.than you very

marius

Jan 22, 2013
I got the replay from silicon chip, said they don't have the hex file for that chip nor the rights to publish the hex file.Hopefully the chip that you have I will be able to find the file (fingers cross)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Presumably this is the device you're building.

You're right, it's a ZIlog chip. Most of the stuff published in SC is PIC based, so whilst I probably knew when I built this, time has passed...

The downloads you want can probably be found here. (but they're not)

Bob's home page is here.

edit: I've emailed Bob, and presuming he still has the same email address, and if he wants to reply, I'll report back.

Last edited:

marius

Jan 22, 2013
Yes that's the one.So what do you think I should do now?buy a meter all readymade?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I didn't see the edit part of the reply

That's OK, I typed the message, sent the email, edited my post and went out. When I returned I remembered I'd forgotten to post the edit :)

debe

Oct 15, 2011
Would it not have been easier to buy the kit & assemble it as the chip came programed. Ive built the Mk1 & Mk2 & use them alot & realy impressed with them. One on the bench & other in the van.

marius

Jan 22, 2013
at the beginning when i decided to build the meter i had everything the hex file and the details how to do it properly but after my PC did`t work anymore i lost the web page.I had all the components ready and the PCB ready for etch (this happened a few month ago) and i said to my self at least i will end up with learning how to build something from the scratch and i did`t want to trow all the components away,but it did end up to be the worst decision ever like many many other people who decided to go ahead with this project.it`s not a big loss(money wise)that i spent but for my self yes because since i was little i loved to build electronic stuff.

marius

Jan 22, 2013
if i can find to buy only the chip already programed i would.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Marius, Bob has got back to me and apparently you have already written to Silicon Chip Magazine. They forwarded your inquiry (and email address on to Bob) and he's going to get back to you.

I hope it all works out.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Marius, do you have full construction details for this device?

Remember that Bob Parker should NOT be your first port of call should you have problems.

marius

Jan 22, 2013
I would like to thank very much Steve and everybody who helped me. My special thanks to Mr Bob Parker and you Steve and the guys from Silicon chip.

Thank you very much

Sincerely Marius

Last edited by a moderator: