Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Encoder simple 1 channel to check ac motor stall

sherazi

Mar 8, 2010
HI!
i want to check any motor stalls while my motor is energized, motor is AC, i would like to use an encoder!
but i am not certain how to use it! i dont need any positioning or angle checking so only 1,0 encoder would work, how should i use it in my AVR, i have no interupt pin available, and i have to use it with polling ,

what i want is just to be sure that while my AC Power is On to the Motors , i would check if motor is rotating or it has been stalled

Plz guide me with the algo and the better encoder approach,

on idea that i just got is to check the encoder output at a certain pin 4-5 times at different location of the polling loop, if the reading is same as that of previous i add a counter, if its different the counter is reset, and whenever a counter value exceeds 20 , it means it is a stall!

any suggestions??

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Even if you detect the position of the motor once per revolution (say with a hall effect switch) you can tell the motor has stalled because you fail to receive pulses at least every [time period].

sherazi

Mar 8, 2010
but i dont want position!... just want to see a changing pulse every now and then and if its constant the motor is stalled!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Even if you detect the position of the motor once per revolution (say with a hall effect switch) you can tell the motor has stalled because you fail to receive pulses at least every [time period].