Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Enable a load if the batterys voltage is more than x

Amin Hajihosseinlu

Nov 16, 2015
Hello,

I have a stand alone system powered by solar panel and it has batteries.
I would like to disable the load if the voltage is less than certain amount. Is there any ic that I could use?
The device I would like to use must consume very low power in sleep mode.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hello,

I have a stand alone system powered by solar panel and it has batteries.
I would like to disable the load if the voltage is less than certain amount. Is there any ic that I could use?
The device I would like to use must consume very low power in sleep mode.
Define 'very low power'
Some of the PIC brand ICs consume on the order of fractions of mA (30μA as an example)

Amin Hajihosseinlu

Nov 16, 2015
Define 'very low power'
Some of the PIC brand ICs consume on the order of fractions of mA (30μA as an example)
Yes less than 1mA is perfect for me. But I want something simple. Are PIC controllers simple to program?

I have arduiino uno, I just tested that without any load or complex programiing. It is usiing 160 mA which is too much for my application.
Is there any way to minimized ardunio board power consumption?

Amin Hajihosseinlu

Nov 16, 2015
This test shows 46mA and 34mA after putting it to sleep.
http://gadgetmakersblog.com/arduino-power-consumption/

Also depends what voltage version and how you power it i.e. via regulator or direct.

That is still too much, I want something simple and with power consumption of less than 1 mA. something that dissconect the load if the voltage is less than 10V.
Isn't there any IC that can do that?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I can't give you a perfect solution unfortunately, but I can suggest looking at 'low battery disconnect circuits'
http://www.learningelectronics.net/circuits/low-voltage-cutout-for-12v-sla_18.html

The basic design either requires a transistor in-line with the device that is powered, or holding power to a relay.
Unless someone wants to magic a simple low current circuit for you to use, I would suggest looking into ways of making your Arduino a little less power hungry. (Note, they are just AVR chips with extra stuff on the board.)
Look at things you can remove from the board to help, and look into low power settings that you may be able to apply.