Connect with us

Empty Microwave Damage

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by toothbrush, Aug 5, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. toothbrush

    toothbrush

    2
    0
    Aug 5, 2015
    Hi! I knew that turning a microwave on wiht nothing inside it causes damage to it, and possibly a fire. Stupidly, I thought I had put my food inside it and turned it on. It was actually empty and kept running for a minute and 30 secs before i switched it off and realised my mistake. There was a slight burning smell, which i only noticed because I knew i must have caused some damage. So pretty faint smell. And a pea-sized brown mark on the inside of the microwave, on this white paper-ish surface.

    I put my food in and turned it on again- nothing weird happened and my food was hot. Is it dangerous to keep using this microwave? Should i take it in for repairs? After all it is still working fine.
     
  2. (*steve*)

    (*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

    25,418
    2,788
    Jan 21, 2010
    I can't see it being dangerous. The brown spot may be done very well cooked on food splatter.

    It's not good for the microwave because with nothing to absorb the energy you can end up with much higher power dissipation in the magnetron.
     
    toothbrush likes this.
  3. toothbrush

    toothbrush

    2
    0
    Aug 5, 2015
    thank you for the reply! i didnt get what you said about the brown spot, but to clarify, there is a white, paper-like square on the inside of my microwave. It's always been there. after this incident a small area turned brown, like it was burnt. thanks again! its been working just like normal since.
     
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day

-