Connect with us

EMI/EMC-standars in Canada and USA?

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by Manfred W., Feb 24, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Manfred W.

    Manfred W. Guest


    I kindly ask you for an anwer to the following question:
    What are the limits that I have to stick to, concerning EMI/EMC (especially
    conducted and radiated *emission*), when talking about industrial
    The device is three-phase-powered.
    I need this information for Canada and USA, if you can provide it for other
    countries too, you are welcome.

    Kind regards

    Manfred W.
  2. Pooh Bear

    Pooh Bear Guest

    Almost all countries worldwide use the same IEC standards that you'd use in
    Austria for EMC. They may or may not be mandatory in certain countries but the
    net is widening.

    In the US the FCC largely governs this role.

    U.S. Requirements

    The general EMC requirements in the U.S. are set by the Federal Communications
    Commission (FCC), while the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates
    medical products. Mandatory FCC requirements primarily concern computing
    devices, defined as any electronic device or system that generates and uses
    timing pulses at a rate in excess of 9000 cycles per second and uses digital
    techniques. FCC Part 15 covers radio frequency devices capable of emitting RF
    energy in the range of 9 kHz—200 GHz. Testing should be done according to ANSI

    Part 18 covers industrial, scientific, and medical (ISM) equipment (Figure 1),
    defined as any device that uses radio waves for industrial, scientific, or
    medical purposes and is not intended for radio communications. While most FCC
    regulations only concern emissions, FDA also requires immunity for certain
    life-support equipment. FCC Parts 15 and 18 include regulations as well as
    technical aspects and limits. FCC Part 68, which governs the technical
    requirements for registration of telecom terminal equipment, includes lightning
    surge tests (surge immunity).

    Google is your friend.

    FCC is easy to meet if you're already IEC / CE compliant.

  3. Guest


    If you go to:

    you can download the FCC Part 15 regulations for the USA. You need to
    meet the Class A requirements which cover non-residential uses.
    Industry Canada has similar requirements, a web search of "Industry
    Canada" should give you some results. From your name I would guess you
    are from Germany, sl you are familiar with the EU requirements.

    Let us know if there is any further info you need.

    H. R. (Bob) Hofmann
  4. maz

    maz Guest

    Hi Manfred here below the limit according generic standard, but you
    have to check if your products have specific standards (e.g. inverter
    or other)

    According to EN61000-6-3(Europe) (Electromagnetic compatibility - Part
    6-3: Generic standard - : Emission standard for residential,
    commercial and light industry. )
    limits are
    -radiated emission
    30 to 230MHz 30dBuV/m
    230 to 1000MHz 37dBuV/m

    -conducted emission

    0.15 to 0.50MHz Qp=66 to 56*dBuV Av=56 to 46*dBuV * Decreasing
    linearly with the logarithm of the frequency
    0.50 to 5MHz Qp=56dBuV Av=46dBuV
    5 to 30MHz Qp=60dBuV Av=50dBuV

    According to FCC §15.109 (US)
    - radiated emission
    30 to 88 MHz 39.1 dBuV/m
    88 to 216MHz 43.5 dBuV/m
    216 to 960MHz 46.5 dBuV/m
    above 960MHz 49.5 dBuV/m

    0.15 to 0.50MHz Qp=79 dBuV Av=66dBuV
    0.50 to 5MHz Qp=73dBuV Av=60dBuV
    5 to 30MHz Qp=73dBuV Av=60dBuV
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day